• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Tube Bumper

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I wanted to give my truck a more rugged look. I was looking at grill guards, but they are too expensive. I figured I would be able to fab one up at the shop. But then I thought, why stop there? Why not go ahead and make the bumper since I will be welding any way. So I have been looking around at custom off road bumpers and finally decided how I wanted it to look. So I played around on MSPaint for a while and here is what I came up with.

explorertemplate2.jpg

This is what I am going to fab up at the shop. Two 2" Schedule 40 steel horizontal bumpers with a couple pieces of pipe connecting them together. Also I am including a "center brush guard/light bar" cause I like the look of it. I am going to attempt to bolt these to the original bumper bolt holes so I can always put the stock one back on. I also have some 6" Daylighters that are itching to be used (not the lights on my bumper currently).

explorer.jpg

This is my current look. I got bitten by the off road look bug and I am going for a more rugged look (safari roof rack, off road front and rear bumpers, tt and shackles...gonna fab them up this week, etc.)

explorertemplate.jpg

This is what took me some time to make. Its a template of my 99 XLT without the bumper. I had to print a pic of my ex, and sharpie the lines I wanted to keep, and traced over it with tracing paper. That way i could delete my bumper without taking it off. Its pretty sketchy, but feel free to use it if you like.

Thanks guys and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
-Rob

Looks good Rob. Are you going to miter or bend that top hoop?

Back