Off-Road Worthiness of the '06 XLT V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-Road Worthiness of the '06 XLT V8?

dror

Reaction score
City, State
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Hi,

I'm interested in opinions & actual experience regarding how good is the '06 XLT model for off-road driving, e.g. is its ground clearance enough? Is the traction control useful off-road as a (partial) replacement for diff lock?

By the way my current SUV is a '99 Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero) that has serious off-road capabilities.

Any comment would be much appreciated.

Dror

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, its IFS & IRS. it isn't really offroad capable without extensive modifications.

is your Pajero a 3.0TD? anyways the traction control has a lot of wheel spin usually before it comes in to stop it and transfer power. Ground clearence aint really the best. Best bet is to just stay on dirt roads and thats about it. Id rate the off road capabilities, limited by the expensive mods needed by the IFS/IRS as low as blee stated.

Well it depends what you want to do off-road. E.g., model 2001 and newer Pajeros have IFS+IRS, and people take them off-road a lot here.

ya true, but i was assuming it was the older ones. But the pajero, that thing was made for it, with the low range and factory options it has. Ford with the explorer is catering to what the market wants, and its pretty much just limited to the road. Mitsu however has the demand and sees that its pajeros go off road. They are great trucks especially the TD, i drove one when i was in Isreal.

My Pajero is the older 2.8TDI model, with a rear solid axle. However I was talking about the newer models, which though "softer" are still quite capable off-road.

haha true.

With a 292 HP V-8 and a transfer case with low range, I believe the 2006 Explorer would do just fine offroad in many different conditions. It all depends on the type of offroading you plan on doing. With a body lift, larger tires could be added to increase your ground clearance and traction. The rear axle is still an 8.8" but I don't know if the current lockers will work in the IRS center section.

Do you have any photos of the trails you currently run in your Pajero??

I've been to Israel twice. It's a beautiful country, and much of the terrain reminded me of what we have here in Arizona.

I sure have pictures but I don't seem to find how to upload them here :(

You can look at this link of one desert trip, quite old and the titles are in Hebrew but the pictures speak for themselves. I have a lot more but not online.
http://www.jeeptrip.com/page.aspx?div=Albums&group=3&item=292&action=GALLERY

Anyhow I'm not looking for extreme off roading, but certainly for more than simple dirt tracks.

Dror

nice pics, wouldnt do that in a 06 explorer though....

All I was able to find were photos of a rally. What I saw could easily be accomplished in an '06.

click on the camera icon rick, then there will be a bunch of pictures you'll see. Pics of his pajero..i think its his, then a bunch of land rover pics

http://www.jeeptrip.com/page.aspx?div=Albums

heres the link

dror, do you go to Wadi rum in Jordan and Petra? I saw some ads for it on the site you sent us. If you plan on going in the summer id like to tag a long. In Jordan we have an 03 Range Rover and 99 freelander

Attachments

• Picture 291.jpg
    Picture 291.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 861

'97 V8: sorry I don't have plans to go to Jordan in the near future.

Dror

I think that if you threw on some 31X10.5 MT's you would be good to go for the most part.
I would check and see if the new rear differantial will hold a locker and you would really be able to wheel.
Oh and welcome to the site.

Back