off to the exhaust shop

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Tomorrow I will be off to the exhaust shop to have a custom cat back put it. My question: which muffler should I get? I'm having such a hard time deciding... written descriptions are just hard to interpret... Anyway what I want is a nicer, deeper sound, but NOT loud. It could be a little louder than stock, but I dont want to be heard from a mile down the road. With that said, what do I get? Flowmaster? (which one?), Magnaflow, gibson??? Any comparisons would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

flowmaster 50 series sounds like what u want

Oh, one more thing. I remember reading 2.5" pipe is what I want, right? Thats not too big that I'll loose too much backpressure, right?

Thanks guys

im pretty sure thats what u want, thats what im getting, i just cant decide wether i want 50 or 40 series

I've got a 97 XLT 4x4 w/4.0 SOHC as well. Ive been looking at the Gibson cat back system. $255, self install. Keep us informed on what you decide to get and how you like it (performance, sound, etc..)

i like my 50 series, it isnt too loud, but when you get on it, it gets pretty loud.

Well I went to the exhaust shop today and this is what I was told. He would do a flowmaster (70 or 50 series, he reccomended 70) with a 2.25" pipe (woulden't do 2.5") for $350. I mentioned to him that I had heard people were getting this same job done for $200 or less, and he laughed. So I didn't get it, back to the drawing board. At this point I might just buy a bolt on stainless cat-back.

$350 is too much; find another shop.

Good luck

btw, I use 2.5" pipe on mine and it works great.

are you getting duals??

i know my dual setup cost roughly 300$, but i upgraded to stainless steel tips, originally it was 250 + the 50 for stainless steel tips.....

If this is jstu a single exit, i would look else where

Al-
what kind of muffler do you have? Hows the sound level and tone.

Flowmaster, its too damn loud inside for me. I am looking for something quieter.

flowmaster, eh? I feel like I want the same thing you're looking for. Which flowmaster do you have? I've read (somewhere on here) that Gibson is a good (quite) alternative. What have you looked into?

i have a Flowmaster 40...... and i dotn think mine is to loud, but also im into loud exhuasts, and there is quite an age difference between me and Al............

Kid- While I'm sure you and I are closer in age than I am to Al, I'm not interested in a loud exhaust, just not my thing. I think that the 40 would be far to loud for my tastes. I had been considering the 50 or 70, neither of which I've ever heard, so I just have to go with what I'm told. Thanks for your help

Are you purchasing the muffler separately? Up to $200 for installation of duals seems to be the norm. $350 for custom bending is insane. summitracing.com has the best prices for the 50 series that I've seen, at $90 for dual in/dual out 2.25". I talked to one place that would have built a whole custom dual straight-pipe system for about $250.

Mine is a 70. I have heard 40s and they are way too loud for me.

I am still looking for what I want......

I used a video of X24's burnout as a reference for the 50 series, I can attach the video and e-mail it to you. I haven't been able to find it again because of the many threads on this website.

First off, I'm not looking for duals, just the single stock location. The price of $350 included a 70 series muffler, but I still think its way to high. I may be looking into the Gibson side-swept bolt on cat back from Summit Racing. They have both Stainless (about $350) and aluminized (about $250) for the 4.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back