Cutting back on the exhaust system! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cutting back on the exhaust system!

TheChadders

Reaction score
City, State
Parker CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a dynomax super turbo muffler pipe combo and my question is making the pipe shorter show any difference in sound or performance? i am doubtfull on performance but if i where to this would i cut off after the muffler and buy a small piece of pipe to angle the exhaust flow down ? or can i just take the muffler and hole pipe off and get two corner pipe pieces and attach to where i first put in my muffler cause the muffler is a 1in and1 out design but coming from my cats i have two pipes so my question is can i cut off the muffler and back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can whack off the muffler but it's gonna be LOUD since the cats provide no muffling of the engine.

but cutting off the tail pipes and dumping it behind the muffler is a better choice. This is what i did to mine and i used a couple slip on tips (the ones with set screws) to turn down the exhaust towards the ground( i have a single in dual out muffler). Cause coming straight out the muffler made it to droning sounding for me.

k thanks i saw it on someones truck on this web site a while back and always wondered if its better to cut after the muffler or b4. Is your exhaust any louder with it being cut off after muffler?

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and how does the dynomax sound like is it a similar sound to my 40 series flowmasters or no.

Well i have never personally heard a 40 series except through youtube and the 40 series deffinatley sounds deeper and meaner, the dynomax is "softer" so to say. I noticed that if i keep my rpm's up at around 2500 i get a pretty good deep sound out of it but other than that its pretty quiet

I have a dynomax and i am preaty happy with the overall effect of the muffler minus the fact that it has rotted thru the first layer of the muffler, right thru the DynoMax name, with in 70K miles. Got to love living in the northeast

I had a 1988 ranger with a 3.8 V6 straight pipe. I just removed the muffler and left the cats alone. I loved the sound when normal driving but it was too much when I got on it.

I was told by an exhaust shop that having the exhaust exit underneath the truck could cause a build up of exhaust gases which could seep into the cabin.

I cut my muffler off right before the muffler, and have been running it like that for well over a year....Im not dead from bad stuff...and your neighbors will love you at 2am

did you just cut it off or did you get some elbows to direct the exhaust flow down? What type of sound did you get was it smooth and deep or was it just deep and gargly i guess you can call it

I cut my muffler off right before the muffler, and have been running it like that for well over a year....Im not dead from bad stuff...and your neighbors will love you at 2am

I know my neighbors love it every time I start the stang up! :D

I ran my 01 without a muffler for a few weeks until I could decide on a muffler. It ran great without the muffler, and I gained some MPG to boot. I maintained the stock resonator and just put in a pipe. The sound was not that loud, but it was kinda poppy, i didn't like the sound, but I love the added MPG. So then I decided to put on a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler and remove the stock resonator. I had one on a previous truck and I liked the sound and you cannot beat the price (around $20). Instantly I noticed a huge performance hit and my MPG dropped by 2 to 3, I couldn't believe the difference. So off came the Cherry bomb turbo (chambered design) and on went a Cherry Bomb (torpedo design). Before anyone says it, NO this is not a glasspack style muffle, it does not have the flutes that stick out and restrict flow. The Cherry Bomb is essentially a glass packed torpedo 25" long that is a straight pipe with small holes drilled in the length. It has no flow restrictions since it is a straight through design. I kept the stock rear pipe since it is a very nice mandrel bent peice. It is a little bit small at some places going down to 2" diameter.

Oddly enough the cherry bomb is louder inside the vehicle than the straight pipe was, but outside there are no "rice burner" tones or poppyness. It has a very nice throaty sound to it.

Oh and instantly after installing this muffler my fuel mileage went right back up to my normal 19 to 20 mpg... :thumbsup:

I will try to get a recording of it and post in in this thread sometime tomorrow.

Oh and I wanted to add that the cats do in fact act somewhat as a muffler, beleive me going through 4 cats really brings the tones down on the exhaust, pull your head pipes off sometime and see if it is any louder without the cats.

When I first cut off the stock muffler I started up the truck and couldn't believe how quiet the truck really is without any muffler at all. It's just that the tone is kinda weird without something to smooth it out.

ok so i am in the middle fo takin it off and it wont come off i dont want to damage it in any way cause i want to sell it the pipe will not come off at all what can i do to get it off?

cut the pipe just in front of the muffler, then when you get the whole works out it will be easier to work with.

Back