off to the exhaust shop | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

off to the exhaust shop

$350 is a bit high, but hell I can't even find one in north Florida with a mandrel bender so I am going with the Gibson catback kit. Should be here next week and I'll report all experiences.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to tell you, but I can't afford one just yet!

I've had the pipe replaced from the muffler back before and it was under like $100 give or take...I didn't pay the bill so I'm not sure.

You should purchase the muffler separately, you'd probably get a better price.

I know mine doesn't have a dual inlet like yours, but I got a Flowmaster Delta 40 with 2.25" and I think it is perfect. I thought before I got it that the 40 would be way too loud, but as it turns out, I wish it was a little louder. It cost $225, which I think is an alright price considering what others have paid.

When I went in to have my exhaust custom built, I was lucky in that several of the employees had different set-ups they were willing to let me hear. I am a young guy, so don't mind the noise, however I have a four year old who doesn't, so I wanted it quiet inside with a nice basey rumble outside, my main goal was performance however. I listened to a walker muffler on a dodge v-8, Nice but also really loud inside, Flomaster 40 on a v-6 blazer sounded like a big ricer after about 3000 rpm, also very loud. Magnaflow had the mellow sound I was looking for but sounded tinny at high RPM (another v-6 blazer). I ended up going with a meanstreak muffler from allied that he owner had on his Ranger, A little known brand by my research, but on paper the flow and performance gains were nearly identical to the magnaflow. Though it sounded the same at low rpm after 3000 rpm it actually quieted to a nice base humm, barely noticeable in the vehicle on the freeway. Any way I am content, and man it really woke up that K&N intake!! It really snarls now:D

Man, this is just so difficult to decide on. I really want to be happy with whatever it is that I end up getting, and having never heard ANY aftermarket exhaust on an Explorer, this is just impossible. I think what I'm going to do is order a Gibson cat back. I think that it is the closest thing to what I want: better performance, with little extra noise. Maybe over the weekend or Monday I'll make the order. I'd like to give it some more time before I make up my mind.

i bought a dual in dual out SS muffler and tips, and brought it to a shop, got it done for 190. thats for duals. i think a single should have only cost 120-150.

Originally posted by jssong
i bought a dual in dual out SS muffler and tips, and brought it to a shop, got it done for 190. thats for duals. i think a single should have only cost 120-150.

Do you have any pics from under the truck; I would like to see the routing?

Originally posted by aldive
Do you have any pics from under the truck; I would like to see the routing?

I'll second that request. ;)

Thanks. I'm only looking for a single for my truck, but those are pretty nice setups.

aldive asked about jssong's pipes, so I thought if he just wanted to see any dual setup that it could help.

Sgr1600...Are you going to have it exit the side or straight out the back?

Well I'm not totally sure. I was planning on routing it through the stock location. However, although the Gibson kit claims to be a "side-swept" exit, for the explorers, it's not. But if you do want it to go out the side, you can cut a piece off, and attach the tail pipe. See Gerald's page for where I got this info: Dead Link Removed

Just to make sure, with the SOHC I know I have a dual inlet muffler. Is it the "slip connector to catalytic ocnverter" or the "flange connection to catalytic converter". I belive it's the "slip" but I just want to double check before I drop my $350 :D

Honestly, I wouldn't get a gibson. Other than the fact that they are stainless, they are way too much money, and from what I have read, dont have too good of a sound. A delta 40, 50, or regular 50 series will sound good. Its hard to describe the sound of my delta 40, but it sounds really good for a 4.0.

The Gibson STainless is $345, but the ALuminized version is only $250, not a bad deal.

I for one think the Gibson is a great deal. You can't beat a bolt-on true mandrel bent 2.5 pipe with muffler and ss tip for $255. The exit is behind the passenger rear tire. Look at Black Magic's set-up. From what people have told me that own one, it is complete performance gain and not too loud. Quiet at idle and good sound under acceleration. I will have mine delivered monday or tuesday and will report by next weekend if you wanna wait.

I just ordered my Gibson too. I ordered it from Summit Racing who says they will be shipping on Monday. So I give them about a week for delivery. It all depends on where it shipd from. If it's from their Ohio store, I'll have it by Friday, if it's comming from the west coast store, it will be sometime next week. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes on the install and how it sounds/performs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

p.s. my KKM arrives Monday, so that should satisfy my need to do some work on the truck until the exhaust arrives.

Back