Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Who was it that made the driveshaft u joint with the offset cross. My front driveline binds a bit on down travel and I need to make more room for more angle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question! I saw those too and thought they would work great for the U-joint at the rear diff. I just don't recall where I saw it:confused:

I swa them on pirate....and somewhere else the other day :rolleyes:

you talking about this?

Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts:
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

SF131_135_141.jpg

That be them. Now I just need to figure out which one I need. I need one for the front pinion. I belive it is a 1310 that is used stock in the ranger and explorers right.

RockRanger said:
That be them. Now I just need to figure out which one I need. I need one for the front pinion. I belive it is a 1310 that is used stock in the ranger and explorers right.

Yep, that's correct.

Yeah 1310

That's where I saw them! :banghead: My driveshft issue has me hanging around those sites lately :rolleyes:

According to High angle driveline, stock spicer stuff is good to around 22* and the High angle stuff is good to 32*. I may have to go this route soon since my driveline is about 20* just sitting still :rolleyes:

DB_1 said:
I may have to go this route soon since my driveline is about 20* just sitting still :rolleyes:
this is the front right?

front driveshaft angle at the transfer case is something I didnt really put too much thought into -- I may have to order one too.

But actually one question, is this needed if you have the double cardan joint (like on the first gen Explorers)?

Yes, forgot to mention this is the front d-shaft. I had to do some grinding on the CV so the u-joint would have clearance and it's held up so far but i'll be locked up front soon and i'd like to lessen the chance of breakage...hopefully :D

I'd say these joints would be necessary on low pinion axles but from what i've seen in person on hi-pin axles, I wouldn't be concerned.

I use one (1350) on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. It will cause vibrations at about 25 mph though. The vibrations are even more noticeble when you have the front end engaged, for those of you that can control your axles independently. However, the vibration is minimal and it is better than having a clearance issue.

I have a high pinion d44, but the angle of the driveline still caused a problem at the t-case of the front driveshaft.

Diff Whack Daddy >> are you using a double cardan front driveshaft?

IZwack said:
Diff Whack Daddy >> are you using a double cardan front driveshaft?

Nope, I have single 1350 u-joints all the way arround. The lack of the double cardigan up front probably explains my clearance issue.

I'm running single on both shafts and my only problem is ripping the grease fitting out of the front U-joint of the front axle. That's as far as it's ever bound up. I just need to get a solid joint instead of the greasable for that one position.

Rear is another story. I have bound those up and busted them in the past. I have since went to a 1350 with a billet yoke which I ground out for more clearance. That is almost enough, but I can still see that the yokes are rubbing together. This offset joint should be just the ticket.

Rick said:
... a 1350 with a billet yoke which I ground out for more clearance...
Got a pic of the joint and where it was grinded? :D

Here ya go...

Attachments

• ujoint.jpg
    ujoint.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,994

Rick,
if you have regular zerk fittings i'd get the fittings that require a needle nose end on your grease gun, they are much more low profile.

Back