• Register Today It's free!

oh SH*T help...it broke

Fbird

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
06 limited 5r55s 92k ...taking off from a stop light...BANG ...no more driving. Nothing exited case, when I put it in park with engine running....GRRRRRRRRR. ...so input shaft was still turning.

So what breaks in these things? Intermediate shaft? sun gear?....

Currently in barn about to remove tranny (tomorrow) looking for insight as to how bad this may be. (I was hoping for a u-joint...or even a cv... ;()

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m guessing you’re probably in for a full rebuild.

06 limited 5r55s 92k ...taking off from a stop light...BANG ...no more driving. Nothing exited case, when I put it in park with engine running....GRRRRRRRRR. ...so input shaft was still turning.

So what breaks in these things? Intermediate shaft? sun gear?....

Currently in barn about to remove tranny (tomorrow) looking for insight as to how bad this may be. (I was hoping for a u-joint...or even a cv... ;()
Mbrooks is probably right. When a 5R55 tranny goes south it is almost always resolved by rebuiding or buying a remanufactured transmission. The 5R55 isn't one of Ford's bright spots regarding transmission design.

with 95k miles....definitely FULL build. If I open it its going to get everything...just makes since. If it had 20k....that might be different! Just asking what kind of HARD parts I might be looking at on THIS tranny as I have not done one of these before. I'm sure some guru's will chime in on the usual suspect items.

with 95k miles....definitely FULL build. If I open it its going to get everything...just makes since. If it had 20k....that might be different! Just asking what kind of HARD parts I might be looking at on THIS tranny as I have not done one of these before. I'm sure some guru's will chime in on the usual suspect items.
Dang that's sucks man sorry to hear your having those type of problems. Sounds like these trainers might not be that reliable?

Ok after viewing the assembly diagram....the park paw is at the output shaft....so that SHOULD indicate that the tranny OUTPUT was indeed spinning when I tried to shift into PARK!!!! hell it might not even be the tranny. Might be the rearend. But an 8.8 giving up behind a little 120 hp V-6??/ i find that unlikely. I will know more tonight after I am actually able to LOOK at it...not being in the middle of the road BROKEN at 1700 hrs.

Ok after viewing the assembly diagram....the park paw is at the output shaft....so that SHOULD indicate that the tranny OUTPUT was indeed spinning when I tried to shift into PARK!!!! hell it might not even be the tranny. Might be the rearend. But an 8.8 giving up behind a little 120 hp V-6??/ i find that unlikely. I will know more tonight after I am actually able to LOOK at it...not being in the middle of the road BROKEN at 1700 hrs.
Your v6 isn’t 120hp.

If it wont hold park or makes noise when shifting into park with the engine running I wouldn't think you have a transmission problem you will have a transfer case or rear end problem. Start it up and put into gear and look at the drive shaft, it its spinning the problem will be with the rear end like a broke axle or differential.

verdict is IN!!!
broken rear axle.
So when I intially looked at truck i noticed some "seepage" around LR axle at the carrier. Not a BIG issue figured need a seal. (remember this) Upon troubleshooting the Bang now truck does NOT DRIVE.
1. jack up rear with trans in PARK.
2. rotate 1 tire....other tire did NOT ROTATE (should rotate opposite direction being an open rear end)
3. rotate tire #2...tire #1 did NOT ROTATE!
conclusion...rear end is broke!
tear down rear assembly and set on bench. I was curious to see wtf could break inside this 8.8 OPEN rear end....
conclusion NOTHING!!!! (scratch head)
evaluate situation by reinstalling axles...thats when I discovered WHAT HAPPENED.

The Left axle inner stub where the "tension ring" WOULD BE actually broke off. The best story I can apply here is:
Left axle never had a "tension ring" on it (or it broke). this in turn allowed the axle stub to migrate outward with the limiting factor being thte travel of the inner cv joint. With the stub migrated outward this allowed the stub to not be fully supported and "wobble" while driving causing the seal to LEAK fluid. At the moment i went to accelerate the only part of the axle stub engaged in the axle gear in the carrier was the last 1/2" worth (or the button) and the torque sheared it off.

5R55S = 1
Axle = 0

lol

Awesome.

Thank you for your verdict. It is very helpful when we get the end of the story!

And glad this one is “Solved”.

Back