Oil Consumption | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Consumption

Bern

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
My '97 4.0 OHV engine uses about 1 quart every thousand miles if I do a lot of highway traveling, however, if I only travel around town, it does not use a drop. I can go a month of all in-town driving, and the oil level will not drop at all. Any thoughts?

Check the valve cover bolts to start with.....look for any drip or mess under neath...........check how the tail pipe is burning and read the plugs for oil residue.............look at the rear main seal as well.............

There are no external leaks at all. The tailpipe is clean. Haven't pulled the plugs yet. I just don't understand this thing using oil at high speeds, but nothing at low speeds.

Try checking the PCV, (positive crankcase ventilation) valve that connects into the top of the valve cover..........pull the hose off and remove it from the cover and "shake" it......there is a ball check inside that you should be able to hear rattle back and forth...........if it sounds solid........give it a cleaning with some solvent or WD-40 or something .........work it a little and try it again.........

No guarantee but it might work........they are not an expensive item at most auto parts stores................

$ .02

Back