Oil consumption | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil consumption

Oh come on. People take oil way to seriously, you would think its a religion. You can mix oils. If you filled up with full synthetic 5w30, and all you have is 10w30 conventional on the shelf, you can pour it in no problem. You can mix weights. You can mix synthetic with conventional. I wouldn't put it past anyone if they ran 5w20 or 20w50. They all work. As long as you have oil in the engine, and this is coming from someone that considers 200k miles to be relatively low for an engine.

You'll have to look somewhere else to find the source of your oil consumption.

You can just fill with 5w30, no problem.

The only issue that might arise is if the engine was previously neglected and sludged up pretty good inside. If you use a quality oil with high detergent/additive pack, it may break loose a lot of that sludge/gunk. Then, if there were oil leaks that were blocked by that sludge, you'll now have a worse leak. It's not a problem with the oil, it was just masked by lack of maintenance.

If I were you, I'd recommend finding a 5w30 high mileage synthetic blend.

As for mixing oil, don't do it in your car. If you have oil you need to get rid of, it's fine to mix in a small engine like lawnmower or something. I was given some 20W50 oil a while back and used it to top off my small engines. Occasionally using it with a 50/50 mix of ATF for a engine flush, again, only in small engines.

Many thanks for your replies:thumbsup: explorer's owners in France are very rare so your help is welcomed:) I will let you know and I hope to solve the problem

Back