What is 4.0 ohv normal oil consumption? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is 4.0 ohv normal oil consumption?

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Near 200k miles on my one.

It wont give any blue exhaust smoke at any situation or leak oil.

I think it swallows little bit too much...

5w30 semi syn ford own oil now, before 5w40 full syn.

I change oil about 1000-1500miles ago and it was top of full mark. Today check oil bulb lights on and i check oils. Was in low mark. So about 1 liter or quart per that range?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now our X uses less than 1/2 quart every 6-8k miles..

Before we rebuilt it, it was using 1 quart every 4000 miles..

I don't know if it is/was more using, or leaking but it was rebuilt at 355k miles when I got sick of the milkshake in the cooling system (cracked head).

Also, IIRC, the oil level light comes on at 2 quarts low, not 1 quart..

~Mark

I suggest re-torquing your lower intake bolts in the proper sequence. Very common for them to loosen up and start burning oil. Pull the number 5 spark plug and look for signs of oil. Worst case is you're out a little time and it doesn't do anything for your consumption..

Benjam :D

Hmm i check that.

Thats still weird because i have been many cars with bad valve sterns and theyre allways but little or more blue smoke when you start etc.

This isnt giving blue at no situations so it doesnt burn it much on chamber.

Coolant is good like oil too, no mixing.

New vag consern **** cars use easily 1-2liter per 1000km and its normal and you dont get nothin from dealer about that...

Is that crosshatched area 2 quarts?? Ive been thinking that its 1.

Because when check oil comes, its just liiitle under from that crosshatched area.

It seems to vary depending on how the engine has been maintained and used over its lifespan. One of my Explorers will burn about 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles; it is at 195k. The other doesn't noticeably burn any and is at 185k.

From my experience the 4.0 does not mind being overfilled a little. I used to run a quart over the normal capacity without any problems.

Mines a quart over right now. At 180k I burn none. Full syn 5w30

Back