oil dip stick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil dip stick

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited, 2006 XLT
I had to have my engine replaced because the timing chains seized the engine (previous threads I posted).
Got the car back. Runs great. But the dip stick is showing that I have too much oil. The oil is about an inch over the MAX mark.
So I drained it, changed the filter to a Motorcraft and added 5 qts 5w30 Pennzoil. Now it reads a bit higher oil level !
So I bought a new oil dip stick from Ford thinking the dip stick is the wrong one. NOPE - it doesn't fit - too long.
So I guess I am going to change the lower oil pan (Prev owner must have hit something this one is dented)
Anyone have this experience? Can someone tell me the correct part number for the dipstick?
2006 4.0 Explorer XLT
Thanks - RD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Current part on number Ford Parts site states 5R3E-6750-AB for the 2006 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6 12V Single Over Head Cam EFI.

Berny

I guess a dented pan could throw that off. After you replace the pan, add exactly the right amount of oil. If things are still off a bit, just scratch a new FULL line on the dipstick, and use that as your reference.

Will do - took the old pan off and it appears the stick is scratching the bottom of the old pan.

Back