Oil/grease leaking out from around front hubs??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil/grease leaking out from around front hubs???

bigDerk

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Today when I pulled my front wheels to inspect for a grinding noise I've been hearing (found out that my RF radius arm bushing is split, GRR), I noticed that there is a significant amount of what I think is bearing grease or something leaking out from around the front hubs. It is leaked out around the wheel studs and around the outside of the hub cover, and somewhat close to the brake rotor surface. Is this normal?

I noticed that there isn't any sort of O-ring or sealing gasket around the front hubs, should there be?

I hope you found the problem. If not pull the rotor off and replace the seal pressed into the rear of the rotor. It can go bad cause of the high disk brake heat and cause leaking, which is not normal. While your at it repack the bearings. You will need a wheel nut socket for 4x4's ($10) and a torque wrench to get it all back in place correctly. Hope this helps.

Hub O ring

There should be a large O-ring around the locking hub itself. Ive had mine ripped by the tire guys when they take the wheels off - the hub just slides off with the wheel if they dont lift it free of the hub. Sometimes this can rip the o-ring, and let the grease from the hub out. I got some replacements from the dealer a few years ago - they were expensive though - $10-15 if I remember correctly.
I need to get some of the flat lock nuts to hold the hub on so I can remove the tires - without the hub following.

Might check with Torrie at FPN for these, or Warn if you're running the manuals.

Good luck

Back