• Register Today It's free!

Oil in cyl number 4.

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
OK so i pulled out the plugs. all 5 looked good they had the grayish white on the tip and the cyl #4 had oil on it. this could be why I'm missing in the morning on a cold start up. so maybe bad ring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody have any recommendations if i do have a blown piston ring? what can i use for now? if i do have a blown piston ring i wanna save up alitttle and sell this one so i can upgrade from a 94 to a 98 to 01.

i took a pic off the phone sorry its not the best. the threads were wet with oil but not much.
may08001.jpg

By kobej05 at 2010-05-08

Did you smell it? Might want to try and remove some of the fluid from the threads and see if it's engine oil for sure, or gas, or coolant.

I forget how these motors are numbered, which are we talking about?

Just a hunch, you may need to change the factory intake manifold gasket. My FelPro replacement from a typical parts store made the factory cork dealy look ridiculous.

Also be on the lookout for engine pinging. Whatever is getting into the combustion chamber and making that plug look like that might be contributing to hot spots in there which will make that cylinder ping. If pinging/detonation go on long enough you just might put enough stress in to break stuff or prematurely wear it out.....blow seals out, cause leaks etc.

it smells like oil. i havent noticed any ping. im looseing water. im adding water maybe like 1 once every full tank of gas depending how much im driving.

it just passed smog today no problem tryin to register it from wa to ca state.

I'd still have to guess intake manifold gasket.....sounds too familiar. If you are on the flat and in cool weather most of the time, you may not heat the combustion chamber enough for long enough time to hear it ping on regular unleaded.

how many times i gotta replace that intake gasket? its been twice in one year. time for a new motor then. my sister said she noticed blue greyish smoke when i took off. sorry just really irritated on this. the first job costed me 1,800 ya a rip off i know and then i brought it down to ca then i had the intake took off and replaced the intake gaskets. im not sure whats going on im still looseing water :(.

Back