• Register Today It's free!

Oil leaked out and won’t start

J3nn

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond va
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ford explorer xlt
So I was changing the oil in my 07 ford explorer xlt, I had to drive far the next day so that night I changed the oil, it was dark and raining so the oil gasket fell off while changing the filter and I didn’t realize until the next day. I drove about 5 mins down the street and my truck just shut off. That’s when I realized I had no oil and it all leaked out that night. I’m not sure if I blew the engine or what. It didn’t make a noise, it just shut off and won’t turn at all or even attempt to.

So I was changing the oil in my 07 ford explorer xlt, I had to drive far the next day so that night I changed the oil, it was dark and raining so the oil gasket fell off while changing the filter and I didn’t realize until the next day. I drove about 5 mins down the street and my truck just shut off. That’s when I realized I had no oil and it all leaked out that night. I’m not sure if I blew the engine or what. It didn’t make a noise, it just shut off and won’t turn at all or even attempt to.
my guess is it might have seized up, since i dont think these shut off when theres low oil. i may be mistaken though

I would attempt to turn the engine over by hand by using a ratchet and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt. If it won't turn, well it's over.

Five minutes is enough time to drain the engine of oil and for it to seize. Does the starter engage and attempt to turn the engine over?

Back