Oil leaking from head gaskets + valve cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leaking from head gaskets + valve cover

cflecknell

Reaction score
City, State
Banff, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 2-door 4WD
So, I was able to have the shop tell me where the oil is leaking from. (in for ongoing clutch issues/warranty on their work hopefully)

They said the rigth valve cover, and both head gaskets. My question is, with the head gaskets leaking oil slightly, how soon do I HAVE to replace them? I'd much rather wait until after winter, but at the same time don't want to have to start the job when they blow an dictate when. (If I'm even a towable distance to somewhere I can do the job)

Right now everything seems to run fine, no smoke, decent power, decent mileage.

Should I be running around to get read to do this, or can I relax?

Oh ya, 94' - 283000km

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keeping in mind the valve cover gaskets are above the head gaskets and oil runs down hill......but if one valve cover gasket is good.....It's always puzzled me how a head gasket leaks oil only.

And........i've seen one leaking oil so bad it'd trash the engine compartment, where word was a mechanic said head gasket, just keep on going like that pink bunny.
As long as you don't have water in oil or oil in water, and if it doesn't start heating up, you should be ok.

Hopefully I won't be the only word on this.

Usually the head gasket will not leak, however the silicon sealer that Ford uses on the lower intake manifold corners will. The oil will then work its way down the front and back side of each head and eventually meet under the exhaust manifolds.

Like cflecknell said, As long as you don't find fluids mixing on the inside of the motor, you should be fine. Just try tightening the valve cover bolts for now and see if that helps slow it, and keep an eye on the oil level.

If you really want to find the origen of the leak, put some dye in the oil then run it and watch with a UV light. You can get leak detection kits for this purpose.

Thanks for the info!

Here's the thing, I never saw any oil dripping under it until I recently moved and now have a parking spot that's on a steep uphill slant. So what's happening is the oil is pooling and dripping off from a point at the rear. it can sit all day running or not and leave no drips behind. It's really easy to tell since there's snow around now.

I'll probably try to clean it up as much as possible and look at the dye option. I just need to avoid major work until it warms up in spring.

Thanks again,

No problem, one of mine has leaky valve covers. I'm like you, its gonna just leak a little until its warmer out.:D

Back