i've got oil leaking from my oil filter mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i've got oil leaking from my oil filter mount

moose21

Reaction score
City, State
Vallejo,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL & 2000 eddie bauer
Is there a Gasket I could Chang or do I have to change the whole thing? Has anyone had any experience with it all your help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Generally a leak from the oil filter mount is caused by the the gasket from the old filter getting stuck to the mount instead of being removed with the old filter. Check to see if the old gasket is still stuck to the mount.

When I've done it, the "leak" from an extra filter gasket was actually a big gush. :)
Made a huge mess, and I definitely learned my lesson.

Checking and making sure I only have one gasket is its own step in the oil-changing process now.

Where is the leak from? If the leak is from between the oil filter adapter and the engine block, there is an o-ring there that you can change. There is a bolt that attaches the adapter to the block, loosen and remove, remove the adapter, get a new o-ring and re-install.

If it's leaking from between the filter and the adapter, usually it's either a bad filter gasket, or as mentioned, failure to remove the old gasket during an oil change. That usually does result in more of a gush than a leak.

I can't pin point the leak there is drops of oil on the bottom of the filter. I checked and made sure and there was only one filter Gasket there. I thought it was a bad filter Gasket so I changed it and still got the same results I'm using a motorcraft filter.

If the leak is from between the oil filter adapter and the engine block, there is an o-ring there that you can change. There is a bolt that attaches the adapter to the block, loosen and remove, remove the adapter, get a new o-ring and re-install.

Back