oil pan removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil pan removal

william1998ex

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
i have a 1998 explorer that i think the rods are knocking a bit on start-up. it is a 4.0 pushrod type motor with 150,000 mi. after driving it for about 10 mins. the oil pressure guage needle starts jumping, then falls completely down. i replaced the sending unit with an identical new one, still dous the same thing. put in 10w40 oil , same thing. im thinking rod bearings from the sounds of it. how much trouble is it to pull the pan to have a look see ?????????? thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has push rods and rockers been replaced in that motors life? These motors are bad for that. I believe 2wd models are really easy to pull the oil pan, and 4wd is a bit harder, but nothing major.

Welcome to the forum.

... and 4wd is a bit harder, but nothing major.
On 4WD you just need to lift the engine from engine bay, nothing major :D

On 4WD you just need to lift the engine from engine bay, nothing major :D

:D Smart A$$ :D

My understanding is that you just need to lift one side slightly and can maneuver the pan out.
I have not needed to pull mine out though.

I'd have to say that unless it was a pan gasket leak, I'd pull the motor if I was sure the noise was from the bottom end. My moneys on the top end making the noise.

I don't know that you would see a sloppy bearing on the bottom end from pulling the pan. Clearances are so tight that you wouldn't see it.

There's a good chance you have a clogged
oil pump pick-up screen. When they clog, the
oil pressure readings are very erratic, much as
you describe.

As was posted, the 2WD pan is very easy to
remove. Don't know about 4WD...?

Back