Oil Pans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pans?

I'm looking for an oil pan to use on my 5.0L swap. All the info I've gathered says I need a '84-'93 dual sump pan off a mustang. Does anybody know if the pan off a '96 5.0L Explorer will work in my '94 Explorer swap project? Thanks.

Derek

The 96+ Explorer 5.0 oil pan should work fine.......it was made to fit in an explorer. Other pans that will work include Dual Sump Oil pans from 1980's-1990's T-bird 5.0/Cougar 5.0, and Lincoln Mark Series 5.0's.

FYI: most scrap yards have spare oil pans from "core" 5.0's laying around.
Good Luck

the 96 Explorer v-8 Oil pan is not a dual slup oil pan. And if you look under a 91-94 Explorer you have a crossmember you have to clear that the 96 explorer does not. you can buy a brand new dual slup pan from many different places including James duff and summit racing.

I maybe incorrect but I am positive that the Explorers have a double sump pan. I guess I will have to climb under my buddies again take another look.

Double hump pans can be found in any Fox chassis cars, the Mustang, the Fairmont, the 106 inch LTD's, T-bird etc.

I have a 96 Explorer 5.0 in my garage for my Swap it does not have a dual slump oil pan... The oil pan you will need for the Swap will have Two oil drain plugs the one on the Explorer is looks a lot like the one on a v-6 Explorer. The Explorer oil pan might fit on a 91-94 2wd with 4x4 motor mounts but it would be just as easy to buy a new oil pan. Our 95 Mustang GT has the dual slump pan also.

Back