• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure switch problem.

rathrbcruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Having a cold start issue with my oil pressure gauge. On cold startups the gauge reads zero, and this causes the check gauges light to come on. I have a new sending unit, but the one on the truck looks like its a pain to get to and if I can't get it out would it be possible to hotwire this switch so it thinks its always got pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace my oil pressure switch last week,
on a 4.0. In addition to erratic readings, it was also
leaking oil through the connector plug. I'd take a
look and see if your switch is leaking oil, but regardless
I'd replace it. They aren't screwed in very tightly and
shouldn't be hard to replace.

On a 5.0, most owners reach it by removing the left side
tire and splash shield, and using a long extension with
the correct socket...

Just to be sure that it's the sender and no a real low pressure issue, I would hook a mechanical gauge and check what's going on before proceeding.
And yes, of course you can fool the gauge by 'hotwiring' (grounding the sensor wire), but do you really want to do that?
Having a cold start issue with my oil pressure gauge. On cold startups the gauge reads zero, and this causes the check gauges light to come on. I have a new sending unit, but the one on the truck looks like its a pain to get to and if I can't get it out would it be possible to hotwire this switch so it thinks its always got pressure?

I'd rather not fool it, but if i cant get it out, as it looks like it's seized in, then i'd rather fool it than look at the check gauges light all of the time. i'm sure its a bad sending unit as it sounds quiet and makes no noise when cold. and cold could be 60 degrees. I'm going to mess with this today to see if i can get it out.

On the 5.0 it helps if you remove a bracket that holds the AC line and then push away that line. It makes some extra room for your hand.

P1020181.png

P1020196.png

That was not as bad as i was expecting. It came out pretty easy. trying to start the new one by hand was a pain but it's in and works great. no leaks. I'm happy now. Truck got some attention today. New belt and bottom idler pulley, new oil pressure switch, oil and filter change, new vapor canister purge valve (chasing p0455 code). ALOT quieter with the new belt and idler pulley. Now if i could somehow get better than 16.5 mpg :)

Back