• Register Today It's free!

Oil Question for M1 users

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
We bought an 07 XLT last December. The p o bought new and had always used premium brands of conventional 10w30 oil and did changes every 3000 miles. I plan to use Mobile 1 full synthetic in it, either 10w30 or 5w30, and do the oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles. Looking at M1 oil yesterday at the local walmart, I see they have both in three flavors:
- Advanced
- High Mileage
- Extended Performance
I know the high mileage has additives in it that I don't want - made for cars that might seep and drip
I bought the Advanced, which is think is the "standard" version.
What is the Extended Performance version ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noticed some valve cover leakage on my '02 with 205k miles. Very little; annoying. Gonna try some Mobil 1 high mileage 5w-30 (and a Wix XP, for the winter) next time I change the oil, in order to see if that mitigates the leakage.

Why would you use 10w-30? I know people get religious about oil, but my 2 cents: don't.

I have been using Amsoil 15W40 HD Diesel / Marine full synthetic oil in my 06 Explorer EB 4.0l for the last 11 years, and this engine runs like new, quite on start up and no chain rattle when cold. 183,500. miles now. I know, I,m nuts.

I have been using Amsoil 15W40 HD Diesel / Marine full synthetic oil in my 06 Explorer EB 4.0l for the last 11 years, and this engine runs like new, quite on start up and no chain rattle when cold. 183,500. miles now. I know, I,m nuts.
Wow . . . and I bet Decorah, in Northern Iowa, gets mighty cold in the winter, too!

Ya, it can get cold here, Moved here in sep 95. Below was our !st winter in Iowa

"February
3, 1996: Extremely cold temperatures that began on January 31st persisted into early February with wind chills as low as -79 F at Mason City on the morning of the 2nd and high temperatures of -20 F recorded at Elkader and Oelwein that afternoon. Temperatures finally bottomed out on the 3rd with all-time record lows occurring across the region, including -47 F at the Osborne Conservation Center southwest of Elkader which tied the all-time Iowa low temperature record set in 1912. All-time records were broken on the morning of the 3rd at about 20 percent of the official observing sites around Iowa including Albia with a low of -31 F,"

Just curious, was it tough finding marine oil in an area where lakes are frozen 99% of the year?

5W30 regular Mobil 1, with Motorcraft filter, every 6000 miles.

Back