SmokeGrinder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Uber Of All Possible Doom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4X4
Ok I think I need a new battery.
I went camping this weekend and used the headlights of the x for about 10 mins while I was putting the tent up. It was only 10 mins and the battery just drained!
I jump started it and it was fine for a few days. I then was packing up so the dome lights were on for about 15 mins this to flattened the battery.

Sometimes when I have the car idling in traffic the RPM’s go done and the power gauge drops, and sometimes the engine shuts down. Also when the truck is on the power gauge does not sit in the center, its a lot closer to low...

I have just replaced the alternator…

Any ideas? What kind of battery am I looking for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure that the new alternator is working ok. All the leads are good. I'd check all that first. Also use a proper volt meter to check it out. You can do a drop test on the battery. If you get bubbles then you have a dead cell.

PS did you know that if you move the dash dimmer all the way to the bottom you can turn off the dome lights and all the way to the top turns them on. (at least it does in my 98)

Just a thought do your headlights (on full beam) get brighter if you rev the engine. If so then the alternator is working fine.

Howard,
thanks for the reply
Im not sure if the dome lights go off if i move the control to the bottom, i will try that my one is a 97 so they might of changed it a little. thanks for that... i will let you know .

How do I do the drop test on the battery?

Yes when i trun the truck off you can see the headlights dim just a little, i guess that means its working ok ?

I dont mind getting a new battery, I just dont want to have to get somone at Staffordshire University to jump start me in the first week :)

That's cool

I'm not sure what type of batteries you can get over here. But if you go with a good make with a long warranty you should be fine.

PS the bigger the better.

so it looks like my is it that... :'( ok well i will take it to a range rover place... maybe they will have something there... those trucks are big...

thank you!
maybe you can send me a like like that for my upper double frammis?

Is there truth to, once a perfectly good battery gets drained it never recovers it's full capacity again? This even after driving it for a long while.

i have never heard of that before :-( i hope not... i will be watching this post

i heard after jumping once twice
the battery goes bad and will slowy die out...
im having some weak battery problems
and currently in the market.. the thing with my battery is
it will start fine but u can tell it kinda hesitates
also once started and u shut it off and try to restart again it wont crank.. i usually have to wait like 5 mins and will start again.

You are correct sir.

A completely flat car battery will not recharge to full and may be damaged beyond use. Basically the acid strength weakens and the plates inside can buckle rendering the battery useless.

Howard, I cant turn my dome lights off with the switch down, so its not like your 98! I guess they forgot that on my 97. If i can find a wiring i might put a switch in to trun the dome lights off so i can have the doors open.

Howard, do you know what sort of exhausts are available in the UK, could I get a flow master? My one is becoming old and rusty and needs replacing.

thanks man!

Tom

Originally posted by thudson
Howard, I cant turn my dome lights off with the switch down, so its not like your 98! I guess they forgot that on my 97.

Tom, in the US explorers all the way up turns the domes on, but not all the way turns them off. As in, once theyre on, you just turn it one click down and they'll go off. You gotta have something like that! :D

Also, did you ever get your whole tranny/transfer case/speedo thing worked out?

I haven't found anyone who could get a flowmaster. If you want a stainless steel one then.
London Stainless Steel Exhaust Centre Ltd - Quicksilver Exhaust Systems
249 - 253 Queenstown Road
London SW8 3NP
United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) 020 7622 2120 Fax: (+44) 020 7627 0991

Will do a standard or performance one for £596 inc VAT or you can get a borla one if you can work out which part number you want (there seems to be two that apply) from
http://www.usauto.co.uk/ or even a standard Ford one!!!!
Other than that then its a custom build job from someone local.

section!

ok so your inside the X and the doors are shut you slide the switch right up the the top and the dome lights go on. You slide it down a little and they go off...

you get out of the x and the door is open.... dome lights are on.... what howard is saying is that he can then turn the dome lights off by moving the slide switch all the way down with the doors open... on his 98 ... now i cant do that on my 97 ...

and i need some girl advice from you at some point

596 :) sweet thats like 900 bucks!!! it would be better to order it from the states and ship it over .... like i did with the billet grille .....

i can fit it

Originally posted by thudson
what howard is saying is that he can then turn the dome lights off by moving the slide switch all the way down with the doors open... on his 98 ... now i cant do that on my 97 ...

and i need some girl advice from you at some point

See.. I should have paid more attention. I just saw that you were posting, and saw your old post last night about your wiring up the vss deal, and i wondered if you kicked that ones butt yet.

So.. you're having some woman probs huh? Well,
docin.jpg

yeah i got the VSS working in the end..... :) man that was a mission! cause i put a 98 5r55e in my 97 and well you know they use the ABS sensor on the 98 tranny to get the speed of the truck....

anyways i just changed over the part of the old tranny with the VSS connection and hooked it up to the 98 tranny...
its working now :)

Tom you'll hate the shipping costs not forgetting the import duty. Let me know how you get on. Gowing to need something soon as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WHY IS THIS COUNTRY SO Expen$ive!!!!!!!!!!!

Back