• Register Today It's free!

Ok now I'm confused (spark plugs)

Bowtiebuster

Reaction score
City, State
Orangeville, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hey guys. So today after 4 hours in my Father-in-law's garage I got the plugs and wires changed. First thing I noticed was the old plugs that were in the truck (Motorcraft Platinum AGSF 22PM's) we're shorter then the TR55-1's that I bought to install in the motor. Just so were clear, my truck is an 02 EX Sport with the SOHC motor. I installed these NGK TR55-1 plugs in my 01 Ranger (SOHC) and the motor loved them... My Explorer isn't liking them so much, or at least I think they're causing my headache.

Problem: When I give it anything more then 1/3 throttle, it stutters and shakes (while driving) and has little power. Also the check engine light flashes after 3 or 4 seconds of "the shakes". This is very frustrating as I just figured some moronic mechanic installed the plugs he ordered which are usually wrong (for a 4.0 OHV, as we know these parts databases seem to have a world of trouble realizing they are 2 different motors). When I drive 1/4 throttle to maintain highway speeds, it runs smoothly. Idles nicely aswell.
I also changed the plug wires at the same time... It's like it doesn't have enough spark to burn the fuel past a certain point of throttle... ?

Anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also gaped these plugs to .055, and the old plugs were gapped to what looks like .065

Anyone have any thoughts? I am about to get my snowsuit on and go tinker with it in the driveway.

No thoughts here , lol

I am going to do a plug/wire swap on my '02 Sport so I am watching...

try unplugging the maf sensor, i had the same problem turned out to be the stupid maf sensor, when you unplug it it might idle kinda crappy, but get passed that and take it for a ride and see if it is better.

Was it running right before the plug change?

Was it running right before the plug change?

Yes aside from getting 10mpg, it ran good.

So after going outside and spending another 2 hrs in the snow trying to troubleshoot this major PITA, I discovered that 2 plugs were broken... I guess when I was installing them the u-joint combo I was using caused the plugs to crack. So I nipped off to Canadian Tire to get replacements. Unfortunately they only had TR55-1GP's, so I threw those 2 in as temporary replacements until I can order up the V-power TR55-1's. So After installing the plugs, I got in the truck and started it... Problem gone! Yay me! Finally... So I put the tire back on, lower it to the ground (all with the engine still running), I get in and give it more revs and, the friggin' miss / hesitation is back. WTH!? I just had to walk away and come inside, I am so frustrated with how this simple plugs & wires tune-up has turned out.

Make sure you have the plug wires on tight. I know it sounds easy but it happens to people all the time. You might also doublecheck and make sure they are the right plug and the right gap.

pretty sure ex hate all plugs but motorcraft. and 2 other brands.

Ok, maybe I will just replace the NGK's with something a little more common to the forum. What do you guys suggest? ( I know there is a SOHC plug guide on Rangerpowersports, but I would rather have the opinion of EX guys. Thnx

autolite or motorcraft.

there both cheap plugs and work great.

Thanks guys for all your input... I went back out in the snow, took the tire off for the 3rd time today and looked closer at the plug wires. Looked at #3 plug wire and found the clip has broken off wire itself (inside the plug boot). Had to use one of the old wires but shes running like a top now. No codes, no stumbling, nice power. Cross your fingers for me. lol

Back