OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen?

2013 Expl Sport owner

1- heater cannot be controlled separately (I.e., turned off)

Why is this bad? Say it is a sunny warm day, 75 degrees, so I set my climate to 70 degrees and air kicks on keeping the cabin at 70, nice right? So fast forward a few hours and the outside temp is now 65. What "should happen"? Nothing... (Since it is cooler out than the climate setting of 70, no air kicks on, right. Duh) But... The heater kicks on "thinking" I was my cabin temp at 70. NO! Other vehicles, as well as my home, have separate air/heat controls. As a result, I have my heater kicking on in the he summer, spring, anytime because you cannot turn the heater off!!!! Could you imagine setting your home ac to 70 then that night the house drops to 65 and y heater kicks on?? Apparently Ford thinks you shouldn't control whether you want climate control for "AC" OR " heat" I-N-D-E-P-E-N-A-N-T-L-Y

Ford should have separate controls for cabin temp settings. First, you choose what you want, heat or air, then set your climate temp. Just like it is crazy for the AC to kick on in the winter because the cabin temp went a few degrees above your temp setting, it's crazy for heater kick on in the summer due to cabin temp dropping a few degree below your setting. This one really chaps my arse.

Solution ? Disable your entire climate system on a $49k vehicle by setting both,left and right cabin settings to "LOW". Which makes you air and heat manual and you have to turn off once you are cooled off (or warm for those cold weather folks). I like to turn on the vent and let fresh cold outside air blast in but it won't let you do that either cuz they eliminated the outside vents for the hot stale engine air that accumulates to be able to vent out. So instead, that hot engine air blast you every time you start the vehicle. W T F ? Like I always say when passengers have to deal with that, it's like drinking a hot glass of water after a long run in 80 degree heat.

2- the NAV

I feel like Larry Darrel & Darrel are inside my NAV pulling levers. I finally gave up and push my phone and ask Siri (Siri went from the classroom down by the boiler room to the Advanced Placement class) can't believe a technology exists to make her look smart.

As a sales person living in sunny San Diego, I'm in my car all day getting directions (NAV) and trying to stay "cool" with my "ford" climate control. It's a comical sight, trust me, and a daily one.

I would have not purchased this vehicle had I known. I guess it's the old " ya don't know what ya don't know to ask". Sorry .... Just shooting straight here.
The climate control uses the inside temperature not the outside temperature to determine whether it should heat or cool.
I'm sure that the heat and A/C can be controlled manually by turning the Climate option OFF. I'll have to try that tomorrow, too late now.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zen2u,

When in auto the car is going to apply AC when it is too warm or heat when it is too cold. When it is 75 degrees out, it applied the AC to cool it to your set point of 70. When the air temp dropped to 65, it applied heat to warm it to your set point of 70. It is working correctly as designed.

It sounds like when the sun goes down and it drops off a few degrees outside you don't mind if the interior goes a few degrees below the set point.

You have two options 1. take it out of auto by pressing fan +/- or better yet, just lower the set point a few degrees so it does not have to add heat to compensate.

Everything has a threshold. I am sure when it was 75 outside and your set point was 70, you were very HAPPY the car automatically turned the AC on to keep you cool. But on the flip side your not happy the car turned on the heat because it was 5 degrees colder.

It is just working the only way it can, with a threshold. Maybe they could have made it so that 2-3 warmer will turn on the A/C, but 6-7 degrees colder before turning on the heat, but I am sure some people would then be upset it gets too cold before heating..

Next time it cools off outside and you feel the heat kick in, just lower the set point 2-3 degrees and it will turn right back off and be in more of a neutral state.

What problems do you have with the nav? There are several tricks you can use to increase the accuracy, the biggest one is saying the numbers as single digits only. 1244 main street. If I say twelve forty-four main street it can give me some crazy results, but one two four four main street I seem to have very good accuracy. Google accuracy no, but pretty good.

Hope this helps you a little.

I dislike that mine is having the transmission replaced now at 3200 miles..

Zen2u,

When in auto the car is going to apply AC when it is too warm or heat when it is too cold. When it is 75 degrees out, it applied the AC to cool it to your set point of 70. When the air temp dropped to 65, it applied heat to warm it to your set point of 70. It is working correctly as designed.
As I mentioned before, it is the inside not the outside temperature that determines when/if your HVAC comes on. That is why you have that small grill in the dash just to the right of the steering column. That reads the cabin temperature and controls the heating/cooling system.

Peter

Yes, agree with you 100% Peter.
I was only stating that when the exterior temp is higher or lower than the interior set point, it will start to affect the interior temp. and the A/C or heater will kick in to apply required action to counteract the exterior elements.

Yes, agree with you 100% Peter.
I was only stating that when the exterior temp is higher or lower than the interior set point, it will start to affect the interior temp. and the A/C or heater will kick in to apply required action to counteract the exterior elements.
Hi Jeff. :thumbsup: I always have mine on AUTO so I'm only guessing that if you take off AUTO then you could control it manually. I haven't tried that.

Peter

thanks or your response

so where do I find that special funnel that comes with the vehicle? or is that an acessory I need to pay for? Also, does it mean that I dont need that locking cap accessory? if the locking cap accessory is reedundant, then why does Ford sell it

Never mind, I found more info at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwetL_kn7gc

The funnel is in the spare tire compartment...it's white in color :D

The funnel is in the spare tire compartment...it's white in color :D
That was answered in post 29 but it's nice to see that someone has actually taken the time to read the Owner's Guide or explorer their Explorer.;):thumbsup:
Merry Christmas to you and yours. If you want some snow out there, I have lots of it here.:D

Peter

Auto mode functionality (?)

(snip)
You have two options 1. take it out of auto by pressing fan +/- or better yet, just lower the set point a few degrees so it does not have to add heat to compensate. ... snip

Hi Jeffrey. I highlighted your comments because I think have a somewhat different understanding of how the HVAC system works, but perhaps not. So here's what I think:

When in "Auto" I believe the system will control airflow speed, temperature and location as required to maintain a temp as set by the driver. So what I understand is the system can control essentially 3 parameters:
1) Flow temp (as controlled by air mix door(s) position)
2) Flow speed (fan speed, or more precisely referenced as mass flow)
3) Flow location (dash vents, foot vents, defrost, etc)

Now, if we take control of fan speed manually as you suggest then my belief is the system will still be able to control the other 2 parameters. In this case, the driver has taken manual control of fan speed - but the system will still be able to control outlet temp and location. The Auto indication will extinguish because the system is no longer totally automatic - its partially automatic now.

We can alter the set temp such that the Auto logic drives the outlet temp to suit our preference, as you suggested by lowering the set point a few degrees. We can additionally take control of flow location if needed, but the system logic still will be driving air mix door position. This premise also says that although the driver can change the temperature setting, he never can take manual control of the outlet temp.

So, to the point - simply taking the system out of Auto by pressing fan speed +/- won't do the trick because the system will still attempt to hold set temp using the other 2 parameters.

Agree?

Hi Jeffrey. I highlighted your comments because I think have a somewhat different understanding of how the HVAC system works, but perhaps not. So here's what I think:

When in "Auto" I believe the system will control airflow speed, temperature and location as required to maintain a temp as set by the driver. So what I understand is the system can control essentially 3 parameters:
1) Flow temp (as controlled by air mix door(s) position)
2) Flow speed (fan speed, or more precisely referenced as mass flow)
3) Flow location (dash vents, foot vents, defrost, etc)

Now, if we take control of fan speed manually as you suggest then my belief is the system will still be able to control the other 2 parameters. In this case, the driver has taken manual control of fan speed - but the system will still be able to control outlet temp and location. The Auto indication will extinguish because the system is no longer totally automatic - its partially automatic now.

We can alter the set temp such that the Auto logic drives the outlet temp to suit our preference, as you suggested by lowering the set point a few degrees. We can additionally take control of flow location if needed, but the system logic still will be driving air mix door position. This premise also says that although the driver can change the temperature setting, he never can take manual control of the outlet temp.

So, to the point - simply taking the system out of Auto by pressing fan speed +/- won't do the trick because the system will still attempt to hold set temp using the other 2 parameters.

Agree?
I don't your point 3 is in the mix. I believe that it just uses the flow that you have selected previously.

Peter

I don't your point 3 is in the mix. I believe that it just uses the flow that you have selected previously.

Peter

From the 2014 Owners Manual:

AUTO: Press to turn on fully automatic operation. Select the desired temperature using the temperature control. The system automatically determines fan speed, air distribution, A/C operation, and outside or recirculated air, to heat or cool the vehicle to maintain the selected temperature. (emphasis added)

This is why I included item #3 in my list. Actually, the Auto mode does even more than the three things I listed, as witnessed by the above quotation.

It will use flow previously selected if you take manual control of flow distribution, IIRC.

From the 2014 Owners Manual:

AUTO: Press to turn on fully automatic operation. Select the desired temperature using the temperature control. The system automatically determines fan speed, air distribution, A/C operation, and outside or recirculated air, to heat or cool the vehicle to maintain the selected temperature. (emphasis added)

This is why I included item #3 in my list. Actually, the Auto mode does even more than the three things I listed, as witnessed by the above quotation.

It will use flow previously selected if you take manual control of flow distribution, IIRC.
So it does. I guess I've never really paid attention to the system seeing as how I always have it Auto mode year round.

Peter

It is only me having idea of removing 3d raw AT ALL and moving 2ND raw seats more backwards, because there are little room for second raw for such huge SUV?

It is only me having idea of removing 3d raw AT ALL and moving 2ND raw seats more backwards, because there are little room for second raw for such huge SUV?
According to your profile you have 2008 BMW. I guess in that case a 3rd row would make it kind of tight. :D

Peter

According to your profile you have 2008 BMW. I guess in that case a 3rd row would make it kind of tight. :D

Peter

Yes Im learning materials about an Ex, since I am a huge fan of the interceptor SUV look.

Mine is on order, but that does not seem realistic to me. I would consider it if practical.

Ford provides a nice flat surface with all seats down

The second row is bolted in place to hard points designed into the vehicle is my assumption. If you moved the attachment point it likely would not be as secure especially in a collision.

The way the Explorer is currently designed, the 3rd row of seats forms part of the vehicle's structure. If you read the thread in the "modified' forum where members have removed the 3rd row seats, many have installed a manufactured cross brace to keep the vehicle's structural integrity in tact.

Peter

Overall I do like my Explorer very much (knock on wood), and just took my first 350+ mile trip with it. I must say, it cruises very well!!

But once again, in the nit-pick dept., as the weather has gotten colder I have gotten out my ice scrapers to help me deal with the ice on the windows in the am before I leave to go to work (Sorry, but my pampered mustang gets the luxury of sitting in the garage). What I immediately noticed was that there's no place to store my ice scrapers. In mjy older experlorer they used to live in the bottom compartment in the door panel, but now with the new Explorer there's this cup holder shaped thingy in the middle of it, which means that my ice scraper doesn't fit in there any more. I took a look around the rest of the car and can't seem to find a compartment large enough to store it. Maybe I missed something, but seriously? There's gotta be some place to put it other than just letting it sit loose somewhere, and rattle around? What have I missed?

Overall I do like my Explorer very much (knock on wood), and just took my first 350+ mile trip with it. I must say, it cruises very well!!

But once again, in the nit-pick dept., as the weather has gotten colder I have gotten out my ice scrapers to help me deal with the ice on the windows in the am before I leave to go to work (Sorry, but my pampered mustang gets the luxury of sitting in the garage). What I immediately noticed was that there's no place to store my ice scrapers. In mjy older experlorer they used to live in the bottom compartment in the door panel, but now with the new Explorer there's this cup holder shaped thingy in the middle of it, which means that my ice scraper doesn't fit in there any more. I took a look around the rest of the car and can't seem to find a compartment large enough to store it. Maybe I missed something, but seriously? There's gotta be some place to put it other than just letting it sit loose somewhere, and rattle around? What have I missed?
I don't think you've missed anything but Ford may have. My scrapper/brusk combo which is extendable, spends the Winter laying very quietly on the floor of the second row.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took delivery of my 2014 Ex Ltd on Jan 31st. Overall the vehicle has exceeded my expectations after driving the first 500 miles. I got 21.3 MPG during that time with a 75%hwy/25%city combination. Pretty good so far. My biggest dislike is the driver door armrest being too low & too far to be able to rest my arm on it while driving. This issue has been mentioned a number of times on this forum, so I knew that going in.

Back