RockRangerII the build up. | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,913

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read what???

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

^^He's prolly talking about if you read post 249. ;)

I plan on running it pretty much just how it is in the pictures jamie posted above. I think I might put a little bend in the end to hopefully keep from burning the bumper as well. I wouldn't want to go out wheeling and get a ticket for a modified exhaust. Ill already be pushing the limit with the tires sticking out past the fenders. I am going to need some mud flaps pretty bad as well cause just about all of the tire in the rear is exposed with the way I cut the bed up.

Also my reamer showed up today (didnt know ups delivered at 7:30 pm) so hopefully this weekend I will get time to get the steering built and maybe take it for a spin around the block. :bounce: :bounce: I think the grocery store down the street has an angled loading dock but I still need to check for sure :confused:

BKennedy said:
You are not supposed to do that in California... :rolleyes:

Why not it's a pick-up. If i rember right it just says it can't dump out under a passenger area. No passengers in the bed....because that's illegal :p

bmxking5 said:
^^He's prolly talking about if you read post 249. ;)
How'd I miss that!? :eek:

Bill are you getting any idea's from Matt's build? hahaha I know you have been over there....

solid axle for Rangerx or will you be the last So Cal hold out? oh and Stic-O

:)

I have NOT been down to check the progress yet, but plan to soon. :D

Stico has an SAS in the works, so I may be the last one. Brian K. may beat me. My doubler needs to go in before anything else.

Matt a stainless stinger style tip should stop my rear bumper paint from melting (dissipate the heat better, more surface area too), but its not really a big deal, I use that Duplicolor spray on bedliner stuff, so once a year or so I'll touch it up :)

your welder, is it the pro series pro mig 175 thats like 600 bucks from lowes or homedepot, that comes with everything to get started? if so does it get the job done good?

JS91X said:
your welder, is it the pro series pro mig 175 thats like 600 bucks from lowes or homedepot, that comes with everything to get started? if so does it get the job done good?

Yup thats the one. It works as well as my marginal welding skills allow. I have to work outside so I havent had a chance to do much welding with gas but have used pretty much all fluxcore wire. I like it 100 times more then my old 110v lincoln I had before.

410Fortune said:
Bill are you getting any idea's from Matt's build? hahaha I know you have been over there....

solid axle for Rangerx or will you be the last So Cal hold out? oh and Stic-O

:)

No Bill just has enough extra parts for his lift to last him awile. :p

IT DRIVES

Started this morning on building my draglink. I got it about half welded and ran out of wire :banghead: . Luckly I had a small role of solid core and gas so I could finish welding it up. Got the drag link in, shocks all mounted, bleed the brakes and took her for a spin. Put probably about 10 miles on the truck on city streets and highways.

First evaluations of the drive: It rides about as nice as my old rancho TTB lifted ranger did. It does have more body roll in the corners (duh). the speedo said I was doing 85 plus on the freeway in the slow lane so it is way off, I was closer to 60-65. For unbalanced tires it had no more vibrations then my old ranger ever had. The 4.88 and 35s make for a nice amount of torque on the street. The tires rub on the springs pretty bad up front. Eventually I will need to get some differnt rims with less backspacing. I also have far less bump steer then I ever did on my 86 ranger. I decided to hit the bumps on hwy 52 by the dump (locals will know how bad that section is) and it tracked perfectly strait across them.

I am pretty happy with how it turned out out on my intial run. I still need to lengthen my front driveshaft so I can have 4wd. I also only have an open rear diff. Havent decided if I want to weld it again or buy a locker yet. Anyone up for a day/weekend run in socal the weekend of dec 10-11? Want to see how the truck does before new years.

Anyway here are a few pics. First is reaming out the pitman arm to fit the larger chevy TRE. The second is the steering angles wit weight on the springs. I think they turned out pretty well :D

Attachments

• reamer1.jpg
    reamer1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 577
  • draglink1.jpg
    draglink1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,925

Sweet :thumbsup: :cool:

RockRanger said:
. . .The second is the steering angles wit weight on the springs. I think they turned out pretty well :D
I'm not seeing any angles. :confused: :p Its no wonder you have no bumpsteer.

It turned out a little higher then I wanted. I will probably get an add-a-leaf and put it in the back to help level it out. I also went hunting for some sort of a ramp and this is the best I could find close by. Hopefully I will have better flex shots when I get a chance to take it out wheeling.

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 872
  • flex1.jpg
    flex1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 580
  • flex2.jpg
    flex2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 577

Man that is awesome!
Talk about your quick builds, from stock to capable in 5...4..3.2.
Nice work!

I love the lift height and stance.

RockRanger said:
IT DRIVES

:eek:

Looks great Matt! Can't wait to see it on the trails, What size tires did you go with anyway?

I see a resemblance there :D

attachment.php

DSCF2885.jpg

The tires are DB1's old 35" X terrains. I wouldnt trust him on anymore deals though he sold me 4 tires with no air in them :p Actually he did a good job mounting them so that without anyy balancing I dont have any bad vibrations to 60 mph (as fast I went today) Once I run these for a while I plan on stepping up to the 37 or 38" tire range. Need to save up some money first.

I wouldnt call it quick. True I have had the truck a little less than a year now but it sure seemed like it took forever to get it back running again.

I should be ready to test it in 2 weeks I hope. Guess Ill put a threadup in the runs section and see what we can get together.

RockRanger said:
The tires are DB1's old 35" X terrains. I wouldnt trust him on anymore deals though he sold me 4 tires with no air in them :p Actually he did a good job mounting them so that without anyy balancing I dont have any bad vibrations to 60 mph (as fast I went today) Once I run these for a while I plan on stepping up to the 37 or 38" tire range. Need to save up some money first.

I wouldnt call it quick. True I have had the truck a little less than a year now but it sure seemed like it took forever to get it back running again.

I should be ready to test it in 2 weeks I hope. Guess Ill put a threadup in the runs section and see what we can get together.

watch out xterrains likes to slice sidewalls

Back