Ok, to mod or not to mod..the project X is on the chopping block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ok, to mod or not to mod..the project X is on the chopping block

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
Well, comin to a serious cross roads here..I've gone back and forth between just keepin the X runnin, or doin all the the things I wanna do... So I'm gonna throw out my current opinion on things and see if you guys agree or not.

Really my major problem is the total lack of power. I know its not a race car and never will be, but down low theres just NOTHING there, even with 3.73s. So heres my take on performance stuff out there

Pro-M mass air, $250? for 10-15hp??
Throttle body - useless without a blower
headers - will kill what low end I have
EE S/C kit - will come out when hell freezes over
Cat back exhaust - 10-15 hp?
Nitrous - I'll get myself in trouble with that, too much trouble with bottle warmers, refills etc...

I have an 87 burn chip, but cant justify 15hp with the cost of current gas prices for premium. If I had a blower, I could justify that for premium fuel. Also I'd go with premium gas if it would add even more power with mass air and chip both tuned better. For 30 horse or so, I'd pay for premium. Also have a KKM.

What am I missing thats out there for power adders that are reasonable for power? $500 for an electric fan that gives 5hp is not reasonable, for example.

Am I correct that my only option for different pistons is just the lower compression factory pistons from the OHV engine?

Also, what do you guys think is gonna be the max safe boost level from say an eaton M90, intercooled and non intercooled. Both engine and trans (truck has almost 40k miles on it, no engine problems). I'm thinkin 6-7psi non intercooled, MAYBE 9 w/ intercooler. No idea what kinda power this will make either.

I keep thinking about gettin some new wheels/tires and lowerin it 2" (chrome 98 cobras maybe). But not if I cant add some decent pep to it.

Basically tryin to decide between havin some fun with this truck now, or keepin that money in the bank towards a different car here in 2 years or so. I like doin stuff to my truck (I like workin on stuff, i like makin it my own), but its come to a point where I'm just not sure if after spending all kinds of money I'll look at it and want all that money back, wishing I had somethin different.

Heres what I have already:

KKM
Apten chip (87oct)
SS Speed Grille inserts
tinted windows
window vent visors
slotted AVS tail light covers.
Rubber Explorer Matts
EE Console Extender
Indiglo gauges
Viper alarm
Pioneer DEH 8400 MP HU
4 Memphis component speakers
JL 500.1 amp
JL 12W3 V2 (x2)
Custom box
air damn from an X with fog lights

So far it estimates out to darn near $3000

Heres a link ti my gallery if you wanna look around

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/mygallery.cfm?gnum=1693

All I know now, is I'm going to bed....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6-7 psi max is all i would run out of the eaton on a SOHC. intercooler for that particular blower would be SERIOUS $$$ and custom fabrication. not to mention the fact you may have hood clearance issues. remember, the intercooler core will have to go between the blower and lower intake.

ya, the intercooler bit was a brain fart, was thinkin about the coolers on centrifugals, not positive displacement.

I know EE went with a smaller blower for hood clearance, but that one just doesnt seem big enough. Now that they have that small cowl an M90 may fit. I'm still waitin to hear some actual torque numbers from the EE kit. The original HP numbers (not in final tune, I know) were in no way enough for the money, but it may be pumping out plenty of torque. But their kit has been "coming soon" for 4yrs now

No comments on the Mass air sensors?

Originally posted by Magicfan25
Pro-M mass air, $250? for 10-15hp??
Throttle body - useless without a blower
headers - will kill what low end I have
Cat back exhaust - 10-15 hp?
i would do all of the things from this list. headers may mute some low end torque, but the extra hp would "override" the slight dip from the headers. its your call, but this is what i would do.

Anyone run headers on their SOHC yet? I know only a company or two make them

Back