• Register Today It's free!

Old explorer still going strong

SHO Continental

Reaction score
City, State
Winnetka, Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XL
Hope I posted this in the right place.. anyways, a little history on this explorer. My mom bought it in 2000, my sister got it in '03 when my mom got a Frontier, and my sister seemed to have bad luck with it. 3 or 4 accidents.. made a left while a Toyota Sierra made a right, their fenders met, Explorer had a dent, bumper got a little messed up, and the fender was pushed toward the hood, while the Sierra had 4K in damage. My sis was in a parking lot waiting to park in a spot when someone mixed up the brake and gas smashing into her, they then ran. The lastest one, Explorer was parked, at 2 am some drunk girl can't go straight and smashes into the left rear, this bent the leaf, axle, put a few scrapes on the body, and destroyed one of the wheels. Thus far the explorer had been fixed after each accident, usually insurance paid for it, that one hit and run was out of pocket. The drunk girls insurance totalled the explorer this time, we bought it back and swapped out the rear axle, and picked up a set of Bronco II wheels for it.

Here's the Explorer along side the Frontier in '03
explorer_vs_frontier.jpg

damage from the parking lot hit and run
dsc03115.jpg

damage from the drunk driver
dsc05963.jpg

right after putting in the new axle.. now in the middle of swapping the wheels on.
dsc06500.jpg

took a trip in it down to SD to make sure it was all running right, everything was great! Polished and waxed it for my sis also. She's going to need it too, in a few weeks it'll be her family car.
dsc16619.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

That Explorer has been through a lot and she's still looking good. Take care of her and she'll take care of you.

SHO Continental said:
made a left while a Toyota Sierra made a right, their fenders met, Explorer had a dent, bumper got a little messed up, and the fender was pushed toward the hood, while the Sierra had 4K in damage.

That's old Ford metal vs. Toyota "metal" for you. :D

SHO Continental said:
picked up a set of Bronco II wheels for it.

I like the Bronco II wheels. :thumbsup:

So do you have a SHO Continental? I did not think Ford made a SHO Continental. Some sort of custom Lincoln Conny?

nice color... my explorer is the same :)

mine was in a front passenger corner accident of some kind before I got it... the panels that were replaced are shinier and less sun damaged then the other areas... hard to notice if your not looking for it... but I notice :(

yah take good care of your explorer and she'll take good care of you!

Rhett said:
So do you have a SHO Continental? I did not think Ford made a SHO Continental. Some sort of custom Lincoln Conny?

nahh.. I have a Taurus SHO and a Conti.. and it's my sis' explorer, like I was saying she'll have a family in a few weeks, with the kid she'll probably be busy..so I'll go over to her place and make sure she's keeping it up ;)

more tcca members infiltrating the explorerforum ;)

When you bought it back from the insurance company, how much did it cost to fix? I'm guessing it was a DIY job, right?

hahaa ahh.. how'd you know I was tcca :eek:

cost about 300 in parts. and no more then 3 days total jy searches and labor. :D

^Takes one to know one. I think Majisto is on here, too.

Back