Old red | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old red

There is a new addition to our family. Getting the paper work down this afternoon. Pics to follow...

2000 xlt. Red w/ gray two tone, gray leather, SOHC 4x4, 92k miles.

This thing is mint, not a single spot of rust anywhere, even underneath. Its crazy for around here, although it came from Baltimore recently.

Only issues are 1 mismatched tire, needs a new trans fill tube (its rusty) and the radio display does not work(sometimes).

Attachments

• SSPX1986.jpg
    SSPX1986.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 369
  • SSPX1987.jpg
    SSPX1987.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 342

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updated with pics. Bad cell pics for now, camera card broke.

I never realized how bad my cell camera is.... The lens cover cracked so i tore it off and it now its just the lens itself.

nice x

Ugh...broke down already.... Apparently the battery warning indicator on the dash is out... which gave basically zero warning that the alternator crapped out. Alt was def. good when we bought the car, we drove it a ton yesterday, terrible luck I guess.

I drove up to meet my mom, sacrificed my battery to limp her car home. Mine is stranded right now.

Nice looking Ex. Too bad about breaking down, but that's a good excuse to start wrenching!! :p:

Thanks!

AAL is already ordered...

Now it has a key fob. It didn't have one when we bought it. I forgot I had found one like 10 years ago in the creek behind my house and I still had it. Walked out, did the key cycles and the thing worked! BAM free keyless entry.

The goodyear rt/s's on there now have 90% thread, but we had that one mismatched tire, went on craigslist and found a brand new, never driven on rt/s fr 30 bucks.

45 bucks at the shop got the new tire mounted, all tires rotated and balance, and it rides like a dream.

Next fix is the radio display, then install the AAL. I also have my safari bar, I may blast it and repaint it if my mom want it on there (I think I may install it on there anyway)

Put the AAL on today and detailed it yesterday. My parents are very pleased I found this car for them. They like it much better than their olds bravada, which is a glorified blazer.

Put the AAL on today and detailed it yesterday. My parents are very pleased I found this car for them. They like it much better than their olds bravada, which is a glorified blazer that features about 1,000,000 miles of wiring all prone to go bad and create massive electrical problems if you even breathe on it.

There- fixed that for you... :D

So true! It had electrical gremlins. The rear windows and rear speakers didn't work, the turn signal clicker clicked constantly, unless you hit the brakes of course, the electronics for the awd were bad, the dome light didn't turn off and the door switch on the drivers side didn't work. Oh, and the drivers window only worked sometimes.

Not much to update here. Still need a new stereo in it. May pick up a set of chrome 16"s for it (the 3 spoke model). My dad likes them and the clear coat on these wheels is shot.

He wants to run a bigger tire next time so either a 31x10.50x15 or if we get 16"s it'll get 255/70s or 265/70s.

Has a small miss when under load, like a hill climb at 3000rpms. I'm guessing a tune up is in order.

I found a business card in the manual, purchased in Michigan, the guy we bought it from buys from an auction is Baltimore.

What are some good ideas on rust prevention? This thing is spotless still!

What are some good ideas on rust prevention? This thing is spotless still!

Keep the underside sprayed off in the winter. I also smeared grease on the inside lip of the rear wheel arches on my 2000 and along the bottom seam of the hatch to seal out the salt water. Kept the rust at bay for the time I had it.

Washing the car/underside is key. I like the grease idea. I was thinking some kind of oil, may even pop off the running boards to spray the rockers too.

That's a good idea as well. Spray some stuff in the clip holes. I really think those rockers rot from the inside out. My sunroof drains water into them, that can't be good!

Yea, the rockers on my sport were a disaster. Anything I can do to keep my parents from doing that would be good.

Recent parking lot flex shot.

2013-01-06125252_zps645cbe7c.jpg

Back