• Register Today It's free!

Old sound, but wonder what it is.

HardTech

Reaction score
City, State
Anna, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Well it never fails that when I leave my garage that when pulling forward it sould like I hit something and it fell over, like a plastic can type sound. But you hear it in the car. I just took this as hitting something. Put when pulling out one day, I heard it after I fully pulled out of the garage and this time it was louder. I looked all around the truck... nothing.

Now this has been happening ever since I can remember since parking it in the garage 1+ year ago. I don’t think anything of it, because I know it’s not a transmission issue or anything bad (well I assume). So this happens about 3 times or more a week. Let me run down what I do.

I get into the explorer turn it on. What is normally set to on at this time is radio and AC. I then put on the brake, release my parking brake and then put it into drive. Then slowly idle out of the garage. It’s normal when I am about half way out that I hear it.

Now there is a small lip into our garage that has a gentle slope. I would say this is minimal. the highpoint (the inside garage) is maybe half inch higher than the driveway.

Now when I hear it real loud it was going over a large hump that connects the driveway to the alley (dumb design that floods, I know but that’s a different story) Link to pic:

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/42a358e1z1a08b9ad/ed8f/__sr_/3d00.jpg?phMLz7CBCfgnn.3Z

It’s not much, but half my car was going over that when I heard the same normal clunk but loader.

So while I know I am very vague on this... have a clue to what is going on?

I would check for something loose in the engine compartment, under the dash, or in the rear cargo area where the stock jack and stuff is.

Well I know everything under the hood is tight, same can be said for the jack as its compressed into its spot with a piece of cloth above and below it to prevent scratching and any vibrating noise.

When I first noticed it, there was nothing in the back except stock things. Now it has a lot of items, but still the sounds where there before so it should make a difference there.

Back