Front End Noise - sounds like old bed springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Noise - sounds like old bed springs

ejscarfo

Reaction score
City, State
Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
So my 96 AWD Ex has been making this noise when the front suspension travels that sounds like an old bed creaking. Its not noticeable when the windows are closed or at higher speeds, just when driving the truck slow like when I am pulling into a driveway, going over a pothole or making a sharp turn. I can also hear it when I exit the truck after driving. I can hear it creak when I put my weight on the running board. I was thinking bad shocks or worn bushings. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A arm bushings .common occurrence on the explorer .just go to the side you hear the noise ,stand at the wheel well and push down on the fender ,you should hear the noise .

to confirm have a helper do the pushing and get your ear down in there .

sometimes you can put it off awhile by spraying the bushing with some silicone lube .but its just a bandaid.
eventually you will have to replace those bushings .not an easy job .pretty sure you got to buy the whole arm with the bushings on them already .

i sent mine to my mechanic when i had mine done .

I will try that and see. I hear it on the driver's side only at this point.

Outer tie rod ends or ball joints.

I posted something similar a couple weeks ago, and got the response of the lower ball joint. Some members said you can use a grease gun with the needle attachment and inject the joint to nurse it along, but it needs replacement.

I have a 99, and am shopping RockAuto for parts now. I plan to replace the lower ball joints, brake pads, rotors, and front shocks. I hope this will kill the noise and not my wallet.

I thought it might be the ball joint as well because I noticed the same creaking when turning the wheel at really low speeds, but that also makes sense that it could be the tie rod ends. I think I will grease each one at a time and then take it for a ride and when the noise stops, I will have found the problem.

Back