• Register Today It's free!

power mods and snorkel.

Ripituphard

Reaction score
City, State
Drayton Valley, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 xlt
I have a 92 xlt with the 4 ltr. I was wondering what is the best way to up the power without to much work ( bolt ons). As well i am running 31" mud terains and have a 3" body lift. I am going to install a 4" suspension lift as well and was wondering what size of tire a guy could fit ( 35"?). As well it has 327 gears in the diffs and i was wondering what ratio a guy could put in to gain back the lost power of the bigger tires but still not have it revved out at hwy speed. The last question i have is has anyone ever snorkeled a 92. I have a pretty good idea on how i can do it but was looking for some tips.
Thanks a bunch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 92 xlt with the 4 ltr. I was wondering what is the best way to up the power without to much work ( bolt ons). As well i am running 31" mud terains and have a 3" body lift. I am going to install a 4" suspension lift as well and was wondering what size of tire a guy could fit ( 35"?). As well it has 327 gears in the diffs and i was wondering what ratio a guy could put in to gain back the lost power of the bigger tires but still not have it revved out at hwy speed. The last question i have is has anyone ever snorkeled a 92. I have a pretty good idea on how i can do it but was looking for some tips.
Thanks a bunch

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67200 Is a chart on how big a lift will fit what size tires. For 35's if you drive it on the street you'll probably want 4.56's.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152071 Is an engine build up thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199294&highlight=gen+snorkel There is a snorkel thread

The more you search and look around the more you'll find.

You will be SO SORRY with 35s and 3.27 gears. Never ever get it into OD again...

I'd be looking to install a set of 4.56 gears, which will basically also cure your power issues.

Here is a table I found that shows gear ratios -- great for comparison.

To read the chart, find your gear ratio, then find your tire size -- at the junction of both is your engine RPM in 3rd gear (direct drive -- remember, your OD will reduce that number to by 38%!).

The white to the left of the chart is low RPM for street/trail use. The white on the right side of the chart is high RPM for street trail use. The green is slightly below optimal gearing (slightly less power, more mileage), the black is optimal (factory) and the blue is high performance (slightly less mileage, more power). 4.56 with 35 is smack in the middle of the factory range.

Tire_Char_for_postingt.jpg

I run 35's on my 94 with a 4" suspension and 3" body lift. I run the 4:88's and its great. I also have a snorkel on mine, but I'm still plying with the design a little.......Here are a few pics of mine........
sp22.jpg

Another up close..........
DSC00035.jpg

4.88s or don't bother.

Back