• Register Today It's free!

OME Springs Swap

nytefog

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
I am going to replace my stock leafs with Old Man Emu springs. When i remove the old leaf do i remove the helper leaf, the on the the botton? Also, do i have to remove the third shock on the rear? If anyone has any tips let me know!

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Nytefog,
When you remove the stock spring pack you will be removing everything. Get rid on the damping shock that's attached to the diffy. It really hampers your articulation.

does it matter if i put th rear springsi then do the TT or should i do the TT then pu the rear leafs in?

Put the leafs in first. Then drive on them for a bit (to lunch) to let them settle. Then measure and do the TT. Check the TT in about a week and adjust as needed.

Jacking

Where is the best place to jack the frame to take the rear leafs off? If i have two floor jacks will i still need jack stands? Should i torque the leaf and u-bolts bolts to factory spec.?

It's best if you have 4 jackstands: 2 for the frame and 2 for the axle. You can just jack each side of the truck up from the bottom axle plate (shock mount). Do each side and put jackstands on the frame just in front of the front spring hangers. Then disconnect the axle from the leafs, jack by the pumpkin, and support it. Then just undo the spring bolts, and then put everything back together! As far as rebolting, just do them as tight as you can pretty much. We used the medium torque setting on Kris' airgun after we hand tightened. The only bolts you need to worry about putting too much stress on are the U bolts.

Will anything negative happen from removing the third rear shock? I should support the truck with jacks stands in front of the front leaf mount? Then undo the u-bolts and jack up the rear axle to separate it from the leaf? Thanx for the help.

Exactly. And you'll be fine without the "3rd" shock.

While you are in there it is a good idea to use new bolts for the spring eyes. You may have difficulty removing the front bolt on the driver's side because of the gas tank. It wil come out but it coulb be difficult to get it back in. What I did was put the nut on the inside. The only problem with this is that the threaded end of the bolt may catch the skidplate and make an annoying squeaky scrapy noise. I took a small grinder and ground down the end of the bolt for clearance but you could cut the bolt shorter if you aren't comfortable with a grinder.

It is also recommended to use new u-bolts.

I just ordered all new bolts. I called the Ford Dealer parts dept today and they put me on hold....After taking a long time to try to explain what i need, i told them the company that i was calling from. After that they knew exactly what i wanted and they told me i should of said something soon and they wouldn't have put me on hold!! They said no probem we know exactly what you want and it will be here tomorrow! After telling me earlier that it would take a week or so!

Last Question......On top of the rear leaf there is a block shaped object that goes between the leaf and axle. Should i retain this when i swap springs or remove it?

If you are talking about the spring perch, you can't take that off. It's welded to the axle. anything else get rid of.

Might I ask if almost all of my driving is on road, is it still advisable to remove the third shock? Just wondering

Travis,
It won't hurt. Besides if you find out after running it that way, that you don't like it, you can always put it back on.

Back