• Register Today It's free!

On-Board Air Compressor???

newtek007

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4X4 6 Cy
I was just wondering if anyone has installed an on-board air compressor to inflate your tires and run air tools. Specifically, I am looking at the York A/C compressors off of '80's Volvos and Jeeps. I have seen several Jeep owners use this compressor next to their AC unit with modified brackets. I was wondering if anyone has used this setup on your '91-'94 explorers. If so, how and do you have pics. Maybe a writeup??? I have collected most of the parts necessary. I am using a water fire extinguisher as the tank. Now I need to figure out the compressor???
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

someone a while back did this mod, posted two fuzzy pictures, and never gave any more details. But it does appear that it is possible to do with some work. I think the way he had it set up was so that it was to the side of the existing a/c compressor, and he had a modified pully on the a/c compressor so he could run a second belt off it, and that belt he hooked up to the york air compressor.

Yep. I found the thread by doing a search. The post was started by a guy named THK. I also found the pictures. The thread never got off the ground. He has also requested that nobody be given his e-mail address so I e-mailed the moderator to see if he can get ahold of him. It would be really nice. If I can get my system up and running I will be doing a step-by-step install for everyone. I pretty have figured it out but I just wanted to see how someone else has already done it. I'll keep ya posted.

that would be great. I have been thinking about doing the same thing, so keep me posted as well :).

I have also looked into this, but kind of gave up so I would like to be kept in touch with it.
I think you are on the right track. That would be the best on board air I think.

I am interested in the air compressor. I have been doing some research on it. I would like to know if you have done it yet or where you stand on the install. I would like as much info as possible. Thanks

Almost there!!

I'm almost there. I ran out of money on this paycheck. I will have it done probably by the end of this month. I am documenting everything with photos and I will be trying to find a way to write up a full tutorial on the subject. A word of caution though, I am only doing this for the 91 to 94 explorer. As for anything else you are on your own as to where to put the items because the engine bay is layed out different. Keep watching here as I will be posting more.

I have a 93 sport so all should be the same. I can't wait to see pics and a write up. You are using the york compressor right? Thanks .

How many CFM's is your York?
if you want a way to tell go here:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/york.htm

This guy did a good write up for the York install in his Jeep. I'd love to be the First 95+ Owner with a York OBA Setup! But that won't come until it is my Trail Rig, and im drivin an Explorer Sport Trac daily.

Back