On my way to the Supercharger! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On my way to the Supercharger!

I'm probably posting this prematurely, but I'm so excited! It turns out I just got an infusion of cash, so I might be able to afford the supercharger! I have to somehow get my parents to approve and help out a little bit, but I think its very possible I could have it done by late January. I also have to determine if I can do it myself (with a little help), or if I need to have it professionally installed. I'll also need to get a larger MAS, so that's another $300.

So has anyone heard anything lately about the BBK supercharger? I know there was a big buzz a while back, and I even called truckperformance.com to see what's up. I'm gonna give them another call and ask them if they've shipped any, and if they're actually shipping on time.

So, anyone want to sponsor the first BBK-charged Explorer on this site? Rick, you wanna help ;) j/k. I'll keep y'all posted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Chav

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

And just beating a stock V8 with the supercharged 4 liter V6 seems to be a lot easier to accomplish than replacing the V6 with a V8. And I am guessing the the supercharged 4 liter V6 is lighter in weight than the V8 engine. It surely will be nice to get reports on how the BBK supercharger installation goes and how it performs!!!!
Mike in Seattle, 91 XLT 4x4

Ive heard some pretty negative reports on the BBK unit... something along the lines of only generating 30hp... I dont want to believe it but kind of do. These 4.0L seem like they are HP resistant. :) And still, comparatively... 30hp isnt that bad. Ive spent alot of cash and only gained 21hp.

nick

Nick, where did you hear that? I'd like to investigate 'cause $3k is a lot for only 30 hp. Based on all the articles I've seen, I'd conservatively estimate about 60-70 hp, which translates into 45+ at the rear wheels.

For some good info on blown 4.0's, talk to Dennis Hilliard at Central Coast Mustang. He has a small offshoot called 4.0 Liter Performance. He knows quite a few tricks to extract extra HP from the 4.0. His phone # is: 661-823-2400. Also: http://www.centralcoastmustang.com

Something to think about. A blower effectively adds more air for combustion, but without more fuel to go with it, full potential will not be realized. Good luck.

Thanks Mike. I contacted Dennis and he suggested modifying the fuel system. He said I "definately" should go with a 155L fuel pump, over the stock 60L. He also suggested 24# injectors (over the stock 19#). He did say, however, that with larger injectors, I'd need to recalibrate the MAS or something.

Verdict: Do I really need the larger fuel pump? Do I have to "tell" the computer that I have a larger pump? Can I get the larger pump without changing the injectors?

Thanks all.

Go with the larger fuel pump as a minimum...

...injecters could wait, but you also need to think about an adjustable fuel regulator that is boost sensitive. More air needs more fuel or you'll lean out and torch a cylinder head...

quick question

what is stock HP for a 4.0 OHV (mine is an '97) ...

Thanks ..

I ask b/c Alec's wesbsite lists 160hp (under the stock specs part) and I wondered if that was before r after the current mods ...

thanks in advance.

bobby

mia-fla

[edited right now and added this ...]

never mind I went to another page and it says that 160HP is stock and Alec estimates power output at 200hp now (at the flywheel)

so, never mind with replie unless I'm wrong...

[Edited by WellsLaw on 12-12-2000 at 11:10 AM]

Ok, so I'm for sure getting a higher flow fuel pump. Thanks, making me spend more money.....

Can I install it myself? Do you have to get into the tank, drop the tank, etc?

And why do I need the adjustable regulator? The supercharger does come with a modified chip to handle the new airflow and stuff.

Will I need to mess with anything else when I install the fuel pump, or will everything "adjust" on it's own?

Thanks!!!!

Re: quick question

Originally posted by WellsLaw
what is stock HP for a 4.0 OHV (mine is an '97) ...

Thanks ..

I ask b/c Alec's wesbsite lists 160hp (under the stock specs part) and I wondered if that was before r after the current mods ...

thanks in advance.

bobby

mia-fla

[edited right now and added this ...]

never mind I went to another page and it says that 160HP is stock and Alec estimates power output at 200hp now (at the flywheel)

so, never mind with replie unless I'm wrong...

[Edited by WellsLaw on 12-12-2000 at 11:10 AM]

According to Ford's website, the stock 4.0 OHV is 160 hp.

Alec -

Whoever you are getting your blower from should be able to steer you to the correct mods on your induction and fuel system to make it work properly. If they can't tell you, nobody can. Call and talk to one of the BBK engineers to get the full scoop. They should be able to tell you the optimum combo to use. You definitely want a balance on your various components to get max HP and driveability.

My take on the BBK setup is that it is intended for installation on a basically stock motor. That doesn't mean you can't enhance performance by certain modifications.

Bigger isn't always better when it comes to Mass Air Sensors and Throttle Bodies. There is an optimum size that will yield the best results.

To install the new fuel pump, you will have to lower the fuel tank, although that is not that hard. Any Ford dealer or comparable level mechanic should be able to help you if you decide not to do it yourself.

An adjustable fuel pressure regulator will enable you to tune for the optimum pressure for your combo. If you have access to a dyno, that is where you can experiment with different pressures until the optimum is found. If you go with a new reg, I would install a fuel pressure guage on your fuel rails so you can see the pressure you are running and the adjustments you make.

I would be sure to install a new fuel filter during the install. Not sure if any mods need to be made to that. I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Generally, I would think a larger fuel pump, 24 lb injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, possibly a larger MAS, and a custom burned chip should suit you nicely. But then again, I am no expert on the subject. Talk to as many "experts" as you can and put that knowledge to use on your combo.

Good luck, I hope everything works out fine. I know you'll love the newfound power.

Well, I put a call in to my local performance mechanic and he did shed some light on this topic. I'm going to call BBK tomorrow. I talked with the mechanic for over half an hour about the fuel system and the demands the supercharger is going to put on it. He even did some math, too ;)

Conclusions: At peak horsepower and boost, the engine will probably need about 80 liters per hour of fuel and ~20-21# injectors. Therefore, I'm definately going to upgrade the pump (and regulator if needed). The jury is still out if I'm going to upgrade the injectors. I probably will, but I don't want to have to get a new MAS for another $300. My mechanic said I *might* be ok with the stock MAS and 24# injectors. I definately do not need a larger MAS, therefore I will see if I can change the sensor itself without having the change the whole unit.

I should have known this was going to be a lot more expensive......crap!

Alec

What 155LPH pump are you going to use. Did they give you a part#? BBK has a couple for Mustangs- could these be the same as used in the Explorer or can we use them in the Explorer? Let us know what you find out.

As far as injectors- the Mustang uses the same as the 4.0 so you can get sets of 8 for cheaper than buying 6 indiv. injectors. I think I saw 8- 24LB for $200-210 at summit.

If you do get a new MAS make sure it is adjustable for future mods- larger injectors etc.

Hey whats the deal with the MAS? I just bought the GMS one for the explorer... but lets say I get 24# injectors later on... does the MAS need to be recalibrated for them? I think so.... but how do I do that? I wonder if I can just send the unit in.. or if I have to buy a new one.

nick

Hey, as long as you guys are identifying the modifications needed when installing the BBK supercharger, what about the situation with the oxygen sensor providing information to the computer which then adjusts the air/fuel ratio to the proper value (about 14.6 lbs air/lb fuel)? If one changes to larger injectors which enable more fuel, etc. does one even need a new Mass Air Flow Sensor as long as the "computer knows" what the OK air/fuel ratio setting is from the oxygen sensor feedback? Perhaps I need another cup of coffee! Have a great day! Mike with 91 XLT 4x4 in Seattle

Hmm.. I was at the GMS web page, and the mentioned something about their ford MAS being able to automaticly adjust for larger injectors... but they dont come out and say it... I wrote em an email...

nick

NO FUEL PROBLEMS!!!

I just talked to Eric at Truckperformance.com and he absolutely assured me that the stock fuel system is ok for the blower. He explained that the computer and various sensor upgrades compensate for the increased airflow, sending more fuel. I already knew this, but this is what I learned: The stock injectors can actually flow more than 19#, a lot more. It's just that the stock computer and sensors limits them. The same for the fuel pump, it can flow more than 60L, closer to 80L. The new upgrades basically function as an electronic fuel pressure regulator, making sure I'm getting enough fuel. If I'm not getting enough fuel, the computer will restrict the output of the engine to protect it. I am installing an air/fuel ratio gauge with the blower, so if I do run lean, I'll put it in the shop for the fuel upgrades. Eric 100% guaranteed that I'll be fine with the stock system, though, so I'll give him hell if I have a problem. As far as he knows, the blower's been shipped, but I'm not holding my breath.

How can the computer restrict power output? Only way i can figure it would do that is by restricting fuel flow and that would cause a run lean condition. I know in Benz's the throttle by wire will allow the computer to restrict airflow, but how will an explorer do it? A change in timing or something?

-Chav

Suppercharger

That supercharger does not make enough power to max out your stock fuel system. Just replace your stock Mass-air with a Pro-M mass air meter and add a FMU and you will have plenty of fuel. If you really want to upgrade your fuel system then just install a Vortech T-Rex inline pump and you will have no problems.
Troll

So whats the deal with all these larger injectors for the 4.0? What could you possibly do to need them?

nick

Back