Big White - Time to install the supercharger. Question about Boost Gauge placement | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Time to install the supercharger. Question about Boost Gauge placement

Maybe.

Ok, found the answer for the voltage put out on the various dimmer wires (ones that are connected to the truck's main dimmer switch) that control the LCD display panels (Overhead Console Temp/Compass, Message Center and possibly auto hvac and stock radio display)

I wasn't able to determine if this was true for the dimmer wire on the truck's radio harness (couldn't determine the correct wire) - but did test on the overhead console temp/compass display

• Dimmer Voltage when normal - headlights not on = 0.00 or less than 1 volt. All of the LCD Panels in the truck at this point will be showing at 100% brightness

• Dimmer voltage when headlights on - dimmer switch all the way up before ON click = 12 volts or bit higher. The LCD Panels in the truck at this point will be showing what I estimate to be at 75 to 90% brightness. If adding a new display - just determine the brightness display yourself to match since many aftermarket LCD panels might have varying brightness levels.
    • If you go up to the ON click - this has no effect on the LCD brightness on the truck's stock LCD panels and the voltage does not drop or change from where it was at just before the on click.

• Dimmer voltage when headlights on - dimmer switch all the way down before OFF click - 3 to 3.4 volts - less than 3.5 volts. The LCD Panels in the truck at this point will be showing what I estimate to be at 10 to 25% brightness. If adding a new display - just the brightness display yourself to match since many aftermarket LCD panels might have varying brightness levels.
    • If going to the OFF click, this has no effect on LCD brightness on the trucks stock LCD Panels, they remain at the estimated 10 to 25% brightness level and the voltage doesn't change from the 3 to 3.4 volts - less than 3.5 volts that it was at just before the off click.

• When rotating the switch up through its range, the voltage rises from 3 to 3.4 volts - less than 3.5 volts up to 12 volts or a bit higher - incrementally depending on rotation position.
Hope this helps anyone who might be looking for this info in the future.

Just an update. Now doing some testing with the prototype before starting on the mount inside of the dash. I’m now testing the display in the approximate position of where it will sit underneath the dash panel. You can see this in the last comment of the Facebook post link in my prior response. Second picture shows the bevel that I want to have similar to what the first generation had with its warning light panel that was mounted inside the dash. Last picture is a look back of my rough mock up that I did of this before going down the development path.

4BB0F270-D90C-41C5-A60B-A201391A427C.jpeg 8757ACF6-249C-45F6-A493-D9A01E0B7457.jpeg

Back