One Side HID Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Side HID Not Working

2014EXPLORERSPT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello Everyone,
First of all I have read the past 10-15 Threads on HID's and still haven't found an answer to this question. I just installed Headlight HID's With a relay into my 2014 Sport. This is what i installed.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9005.html
• Ballast: Morimoto 3Five
• Bulbs: 9005 3Five 5000k
• Harness: HD Relay 9005

The right hand side turns on no problem, left hand side will not come on at all. I have tried all the tricks I know, flipping all the connectors, switching ballasts and switching lights. It will not allow the left side to turn on. It doesn't even flicker. I have read about this Time Delay Relay for when its on auto mode but the thing is it wont even turn on when the headlight switch is on, can anyone help me out with this? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked fuse 17 in the cabin fuse box?

Peter

I have not, What fuse is that for? I assumed it wasn't a fuse due to one side working great and the other not working?
It is all listed in your Owner's Guide, page 312 (3rd printing). Fuse 17 is for the left side low beam and fuse 16 is for the right side low beam.

Peter

It is all listed in your Owner's Guide, page 312 (3rd printing). Fuse 17 is for the left side low beam and fuse 16 is for the right side low beam.

Peter

Peter,
I know that's not the problem cause i put the stock lights back in and they work fine!

Peter,
I know that's not the problem cause i put the stock lights back in and they work fine!

Try switching bulb and ballast to the right side see if the problem follows. If so switch each again to see if it's the bulb or ballast

Verify power and ground locations. Also if drawing too much power the BCM will shut the circuit down.

Try switching bulb and ballast to the right side see if the problem follows. If so switch each again to see if it's the bulb or ballast

He did that(see original post).

Hello Everyone,
First of all I have read the past 10-15 Threads on HID's and still haven't found an answer to this question. I just installed Headlight HID's With a relay into my 2014 Sport. This is what i installed.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9005.html

The right hand side turns on no problem, left hand side will not come on at all. I have tried all the tricks I know, flipping all the connectors, switching ballasts and switching lights. It will not allow the left side to turn on. It doesn't even flicker. I have read about this Time Delay Relay for when its on auto mode but the thing is it wont even turn on when the headlight switch is on, can anyone help me out with this? Thanks

Where did you ground the left side relay harness to? When you say left side do you mean the drivers or passenger side while sitting in the vehicle?

Where did you ground the left side relay harness to? When you say left side do you mean the drivers or passenger side while sitting in the vehicle?

Grounded it to the core support when you pull the 10MM bolt out it is unpainted underneath, and yes left side of car ( Drivers side ).

Grounded it to the core support when you pull the 10MM bolt out it is unpainted underneath, and yes left side of car ( Drivers side ).

That's where I have my driver side grounded to as well and have no issues. The other thing to check is the polarity on the trigger plug going to the ballast and going to the vehicle harness. I had to flip the wires on mine to get it to work.

That's where I have my driver side grounded to as well and have no issues. The other thing to check is the polarity on the trigger plug going to the ballast and going to the vehicle harness. I had to flip the wires on mine to get it to work.

Done! hahah Flipped them both around and still the same thing! Ive done 20+ kits in my cars and friends cars, never had a problem like this...usually I don't use a relay harness, most the time you don't need to. But for some reason even if i take the harness out only the left side doesn't work.

Done! hahah Flipped them both around and still the same thing! Ive done 20+ kits in my cars and friends cars, never had a problem like this...usually I don't use a relay harness, most the time you don't need to. But for some reason even if i take the harness out only the left side doesn't work.

See if they will send you the Canbus that's what I used, no extra wiring

Have you tried swapping the relays themselves? If that doesn't work it sounds like a possible harness issue.

Ford Exploere 2014 HID DIY problem

Hello guys, I tried to search and look for an answer but no luck.

I have a 2014 Exploere model XLT, I ordered the DIY kit from onyxlights.com as folllws:

9005 / HB3 HID Conversion Kit (9005/HB3) - $114.50
Ballast Style: 35w CANbus Heavy-Duty Ballast
Color: 6000K (Crystal White)
Relay Harness: Plug and Play
X11HD-B95

After installed it and played with it, I still have the problem that only one side of the headlight turns on, and the other side(the right side) doesn't get turned on unless I toggle the switch off & on. The annoying part is it still may turn off after some period of time. I talked to some guys and they suggest me to unplug the battery so the computer will recalculate the power assumption for different parts. This did not help. =(

I called the customer suppport, they send me a new set of of Heavy Duty Onyx Ballasts, the new set came to be thinner but still have the same problem.

I used the Wire Harness to draw power from the battery directly. Any suggestion to fix this problem?

Thanks gusy!!:salute:

Hello Everyone,

9005: Morimoto Elite

I have a similar problem with my HID kit from The Retrofit Source (Morimoto 9005, 55w HID w/wire harness). When I first turn on the lights only one side (driver side) turns on. I have to turn the lights off and turn them back on and then the passenger light comes on. I've replaced both bulbs, one ballast, two wire harness and swapped every component. I've never had an issue with $50 HID kits (OPT7). Really frustrating dealing with The Retrofit Source because of high volume of calls and emails. Usually takes over one hour to get through to talk to someone or 4-5 business days for an email answer. I think I'm going with Diode Dynamics!

Back