Only one E-Brake caliper...Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only one E-Brake caliper...Problems?

SkunkMagnum

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4X4 and '02 XLT 4x4
I recently busted the cr*p out of my e-brake caliper on my rear end.
I then took it off and am running with driver side caliper only.
The car still stops with only one caliper when I hit the e-brake.
I have a '99 XLT with a 3.73LS 8.8 ( Door code D4 ).

Anyway what my question is, will engaging only one caliper on the e-brake affect my axle or diffy in a bad way? It is Limited Slip and I hear the clutches go bad overtime... Would this affect anything. I have 71k miles and they may be bad already.
Should I worry or am I just paranoid?
Should I get a new e-brake caliper? It is like $50-80 for a new one and I never use it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

caliper on the e-Brake? 'e' as in Emergency brake (parking brake)? If so, isn't the eBrake a cable system with e-Brake shoes INside the rotor? Do you mean just the caliper for your brakes?

Yeah, that question is a lot fuzzy. The calipers are one per wheel. The parking brake is a cable which engages the rear two calipers.

The parking brake is a drum set up inside the rotor itself.

I definately know it is NOT the normal brake system and all if functioning well with that. I was under the impression that an Emergency brake and parking brake were the same? But sry for saying E-brake and f*ing up the wording.

I just want to know if there is any complications that may arise if I use only one parking brake caliper(INside the main brake rotor on the passenger side is what is busted).

QUESTION 1:
Will my differential remain fine with pressure only on one side? What about a Steep slope?
QUESTION 2:
Should I have changed the clutches inside the limited slip already, as I have read about on another forum(wasn't sure)?
QUESTION 3:
How hard is this gonna be to get the working parts for the parking brake drum? I have mild to low mechanical skills but brakes seem to be something I am familiar with.

Thanks again, and sry for asking questions to quickly.

there is no parking brake CALIPER

your truck is newer than a 95, which means it has rear regular disk brakes

but inside of the rear rotor is a mini like 5" drum brake assembly, and this is your ebrake/parking brake whatever you want to call it

o yea, I meant DRUM....so um, CALIPER=DRUM today

Your question is still extremely confusing. Do you mean that you messed up one side of the parking brake shoe assembly?

SkunkMagnum said:
o yea, I meant DRUM....so um, CALIPER=DRUM today

I don't know where you got all that, but in my world Calpier = Disc brakes and Brake shoes = Drum

actually would be more along the lines of disc: rotors/pad/calipers

drum: drum/shoes/wheel cylinders

Back