Opinions on Mobil 1 Extended Performance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on Mobil 1 Extended Performance

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
first, let me say that i don't want this thread to get into other brands of oils as there are many opinions as to which oil is the "best". i've aways used Mobil 1 in my Corvettes and street rods and i've been very happy with it.

i understand that Mobil 1 EP is supposed to be able to allow you do extend your oil change intervals to up to 15,000 miles. i've started using Molbil 1 full synthetic in my trucks, as it's the same price as Motorcraft synthetic blend at Wally-World (around $25 for 5+ qts). i know EP is supposed to work by being able to suspend more dirt than regular oil, and also not break down as quickly.

i would consider using EP on my daughters trucks, as i don't always have access to them when oil changes are due. i will continue using regular Mobil 1 in my '01 EB as i always have access to it.

some have reported leaks after switching to full synthetic oil. all 3 of my v8's have slight rear main seal leaks, but none has gotten any worse since switching to Mobil 1.

Question: i would assume that even though you might be able to go further between oil changes you should still replace the oil filter at normal intervals. right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW Koda, I used to be neighbors with a guy who ran Mobil 1 in his Vette and 4.3 V6 pickup. Truck had 140k+ and was driven extremely hard. He had NO engine problems, and changed the oil yearly. He did however, change the filter about every 5000 miles. I ran into him a while back, and truck now has over 200k on it and still going strong. Two things I learned from him. 4.3 V6 is rugged and Mobile 1 keeps it together. Hope this helps you decide.

FWIW Koda, I used to be neighbors with a guy who ran Mobil 1 in his Vette and 4.3 V6 pickup. Truck had 140k+ and was driven extremely hard. He had NO engine problems, and changed the oil yearly. He did however, change the filter about every 5000 miles. I ran into him a while back, and truck now has over 200k on it and still going strong. Two things I learned from him. 4.3 V6 is rugged and Mobile 1 keeps it together. Hope this helps you decide.

hi deweyville, yes the GM 4.3 was an excellent engine. basically a GM 350 with the back two cylinders cut off. i've owned a couple of them. using Mobil 1 full synthetic allowed Chevy to eliminate the oil cooler from the Corvette and when i started using it in my '37 Ford streetrod it lowered the coolant temp by a good 10-12 degrees in traffic, so i know it reduces friction. i don't think i'd push the regular full synthetic to annual oil changes, but 7,500 miles maybe. my question is regarding their Extended Performance oil. another concern with engine oil is moister absorption and acid buildup. i don't know how/if EP addresses this.

I am guessing the only way to know would be to go ahead and do this, but get the oil tested regularly, at least thru the first oil change interval so you have a base line.

I use amsoil, and in the past I have extended oil change intervals by just changing the filter and topping up the oil. Interestingly, I could see a huge difference in the oil color after changing the filter and driving a bit (It lightened right up).

Today, I just stick with my amsoil and amsoils million mile oil filter. Im just changing the oil when my message centre says to. I might be way off on this, I truthfully have no idea for sure. I should really have my oil tested, so I know for sure.

I have it in the mounty and have used it in my 4.0 ohv and I like it

Well, depends what filters you use. Definitely the OE one is not designed to last 15k miles. Is not only the dirt holding capacity (maybe his engine doesn't create too much gunk), is mostly the durability of filter media in hot oil.
There are synthetic media filters that can hold their material so long - the paper ones will probably develop holes/tears/big pores by 15k limit.

I am guessing the only way to know would be to go ahead and do this, but get the oil tested regularly, at least thru the first oil change interval so you have a base line.

I use amsoil, and in the past I have extended oil change intervals by just changing the filter and topping up the oil. Interestingly, I could see a huge difference in the oil color after changing the filter and driving a bit (It lightened right up).

Today, I just stick with my amsoil and amsoils million mile oil filter. Im just changing the oil when my message centre says to. I might be way off on this, I truthfully have no idea for sure. I should really have my oil tested, so I know for sure.

the trouble with the message center oil change warning is that it goes by time as well as miles (i guess) as i don't put many miles on my '01 EB, but it still tells me that it's time to change the oil when it may only have 2,000 miles on it.

if an oil filter becomes clogged the bypass valve should kick in and bypass the filter. not exactly ideal. i don't use cheap oil filters, but i don't buy the most expensive either. i usually use MotorCraft. i think i'd probably want to change the oil filter at 7,500 miles, even with EP.

i don't use cheap oil filters, but i don't buy the most expensive either. i usually use MotorCraft.
At $4 a pop, I wouldn't call Motorcraft medium priced filter :) What's cheaper?
I am using Mobile1 bought with $8 from Amazon.

At $4 a pop, I wouldn't call Motorcraft medium priced filter :) What's cheaper?
I am using Mobile1 bought with $8 from Amazon.

fram, stp, ac delco, purolator the filters that the auto parts stores sell to commercial mechanics, like proguard. if Motorcraft was good enough for Ford, it's good enough for a 13 year old truck with 185k on it. i just don't think it's good enough to go 15k between oil changes.

the trouble with the message center oil change warning is that it goes by time as well as miles (i guess) as i don't put many miles on my '01 EB, but it still tells me that it's time to change the oil when it may only have 2,000 miles on it.

I think the message center goes with time only. At least for my 08 AWD 5L.

I think the message center goes with time only. At least for my 08 AWD 5L.

it could be just based on time. i guess i should read the owner's manual to know for sure.

edit: i read the manual (briefly) and it really doesn't say anything about TIME. it mentions the ability to change/personalize percentage based on 7,500 miles being 100%, and not much else, but i know TIME must have something to do with it.

I guess its oil change time for me. Im a newbe to the message center. Thanks

It might take the engine load into consideration. And I don't think is 7500 miles for 100%, more like 5000 miles in my traffic conditions.

It might take the engine load into consideration. And I don't think is 7500 miles for 100%, more like 5000 miles in my traffic conditions.

i don't think it's that sophisticated. 7,500 miles is 100% of the Message Center's oil change interval. that's what the owner's manual states. you can change the interval percentage if desired, but not the number of miles. if i let my EB sit in the garage, with a fresh oil change, for a month without ever starting it, the message center will tell me i have something like 66% oil life remaining.

while time is a consideration in regard to oil changes, as i don't drive my truck very often, i prefer to just change my oil at around 5,000 miles, so i find the Message Center reminder pretty useless and a bit annoying. i usually just reset it and keep driving and go by miles driven, or twice a year. my daughter's trucks are a different matter.

i don't think it's that sophisticated. 7,500 miles is 100% of the Message Center's oil change interval. that's what the owner's manual states. you can change the interval percentage if desired, but not the mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back