Mobil 1 Extended Perf. Oil Filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1 Extended Perf. Oil Filter?

ScooterERAU

Reaction score
City, State
NAS Patuxent River, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 256K, '01 Sport
So is this thing worth the 9 dollars and change or is the good ole motorcraft filter at 3 bucks fine. I run full synthetic and change around 5000miles. The way Im looking at it is if I want to run the full synthetic for 15k miles Ill use that filter, but at 5k its not worth it. Can I get some agreement or you are an idiot comments? I know when I had the 92 sport I would use the extended performance filter since I was adding a quart of conventional every couple weeks and would change the oil and filter every 10k miles or so and that seemed to work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For an extra $6.00..... I'd get the "better" filter. $6.00 is like what...2.5 gallons of gas and how fast does that go now-a-days?

Go motorcraft, its made and engineered for your engine. when you buy another brand filter you are only matching thread size and pitch, and the gasket...

But what they fail to tell you is the Micron rating and most important Beta ratio to efficiency rating.

The Amsoil oil filters are the best, they clean much finer than all others. They are also the only ones worthy of attempting 25,000 miles or a year. They cost about $11, for a whole year that amounts to $52 total. How much would five oil changes cost with another brand? My two trucks see severe duty usage, I'll change them at 15,000 miles. Good luck,

I was wondering how the Mobil 1 filters compare to the K&N filters? They were out of the K&N and I had to go Mobil1 this time around.

Go motorcraft, its made and engineered for your engine. when you buy another brand filter you are only matching thread size and pitch, and the gasket...

But what they fail to tell you is the Micron rating and most important Beta ratio to efficiency rating.

You can't run a Motorcraft filter for 10,000 miles.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Motorcraft Filter... changed every 5,000 miles for the past 135,000 miles. Had the valve covers off (that was a *****) and the rockers looked like they were brand new sans a little carbon. It's worked great so far, so I'll stick with that regiment.

You should not run oil for more than 5,000 miles to start with, much less any oil filter...

You can run a high quality synthetic oil and filter for much longer than 5,000 miles determined by oil analysis. You can run oil for up to about 20,000 miles with one filter change in the middle and a one quart top off. With an oil bypass system you can run it for 50,000 miles. This topic has been covered extensively on here.

The Amsoil limit is 25,000 miles or one year, not longer, and with no filter change during that time. That is for normal use vehicles. Regards,

I do my oil changes once a year (Amsoil Series 3000 0w30 and Ea filter). I'm averaging about 7500miles/year.

I simply don't buy into the 3000 mile fallacy and do buy into Amsoil's extended drain claims. Others have had oil analyses done showing that if you use a high quality synthetic oil and filter, there is no need to drain oil so quickly. You're literally throwing money down the drain by doing so.

The Amsoil limit is 25,000 miles or one year, not longer, and with no filter change during that time. That is for normal use vehicles. Regards,

The 25,000 miles are only recommended on thier Axx series oils(ASL for 5W30) and their filter for the same interval, which means they must have a good filter. Mobil 1 extended perf oil is guaranteed for 15,000 miles, but they don't specify a filter. Mobil does say that their filters are made for extended drain intervals.

Here is an interesting analysis of filters with lots of info about filter construction, and this guy's rating of them.
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

That site suggests fairly clearly to wise individuals that the evaluation was/is slanted. The early claim is that "... Here is how I rate the filters I have evaluated (regardless of cost)..."

Then in the summary section it states "...the Motorcraft FL820S Filter is near the top of my list for a filter to be used on a Ford product." Obviously a bias exists to choose an OEM product regardless of quality or price.

Shortly after that in the same paragrah is this, "However, many of the non-Ford/Motorcraft filters are worthy of consideration. The Amsoil filter has good published specs, but it is very pricey, and it's construction is very different." Clearly the person is biased to the OEM filter, acknowledges the quality of a non OEM filter, and then calls attention to a negative(cost) which was not to be part of the evaluation(see above in bold).

The entire evaluation is slanted simply because it has bias for the Ford filters, and discounts higher cost filters. The summary clearly shows that attributes of the filters are less of a factor than they should be, and that filter costs are more important. The results do not fulfill the promised goals.

I did however see much more usefulness in the last summary paragraph. This very well describes what all engine maintenance should strive for. Please read this below carefully, I agree with this very much.
"Just how important is the installing a quality oil filter to maximizing the life of an engine? I believe the oil filter is no better than fourth in terms of importance to maximizing engine life. The most important maintenance item is the air filter, followed by oil quality, and the PCV system. The primary path of contamination into your engine is the air intake system. An engine takes in tremendous volumes of air (over 1300 cubic feet of air per gallon of gasoline). A significant portion of the contamination in the oil enters the engine via the air intake system. It is clear that stopping the contamination at the source is more efficient that trying to filter it out of the oil. A good quality oil is important because it both lubricates and cools an engine. An oil that breaks down won't protect your engine, no matter how well it is filtered. The PCV system is important because it represents a secondary path for contamination to enter an engine. It is also is vital to prevent the build up of contamination in the oil."

The 25,000 miles are only recommended on thier Axx series oils...

The top level Amsoil oil is what we are talking about, not the few lower priced oils. Personally I can't see why anyone would go to the trouble to order their lower cost oils, for say $5.50 per quart instead of the best $7 or so oils. The difference isn't worth considering for an individual, maybe it would be for a fleet service.

I just hope that my oil consumption isn't so much that oil has to be added before the 15k mark. Regards,

That site suggests fairly clearly to wise individuals that the evaluation was/is slanted. The early claim is that "... Here is how I rate the filters I have evaluated (regardless of cost)..."

Then in the summary section it states "...the Motorcraft FL820S Filter is near the top of my list for a filter to be used on a Ford product." Obviously a bias exists to choose an OEM product regardless of quality or price.
[/B]

You may not agree with his conclusions, but look at all the data and decide for yourself. In his "filter scoring system" page, he gives top rating in several categories to the Amsoil filter, but lower numbers in other categories and admits that his own ignorance of the Amsoil flter media may not make his comparison fair. His descriptions of the parts of the filter are good, and what they do and the performance differences of the cheaper versus better ones are.

There are also links to a lot of good articles about oil and filters. I read thru some of it. There's some good info.

Yes some good info, but the results of any comparison should/must be objective. Clearly the results are not objective. The bias towards OEM filters, and away from expensive filters, that makes all of the results not worthy of consideration. If I could have read the test data without being subjected to the the subjective results, I would have enjoyed that. Once I saw the unfair results, the whole comparison idea was ruined.

I appreciate the final paragraph of that summary, which is why I quoted it above. That was worth reading. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back