• Register Today It's free!

mobil 1 extended performance oil

bensdad

Reaction score
City, State
omaha ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt 03 grand prix
is anyone here useing mobil 1 extended performance moter oil ?...ive used mobil 1 in my 04 explorer since it was new and was doing 3500 mi drains , but last yr switched to the extended performance formula and am doing 7500 mi drains ... mobil says 15000 mi drains are acceptable on this form but i want 200k out of this engine ...anyone hav thoughts on this ?

brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use regular Mobil 1 synthetic and change my oil+filter every 5,000 miles. The oil doesn't necessarily have to be changed that frequently, but the oil filters don't have the lifespan of the oil so I just change both at the same time.

I also use K&N oil filters.

A good way to baseline when your oil needs to be changed is to send in a sample for testing to a lab such as www.blackstone-labs.com

I'm not a big Mobil 1 fan, but it's not a bad oil. There's just others on the market that are better for the same or even less money. Pennzoi Platinum comes to mind. That's what I typically run...That or Schaeffer's. I always use a Motorcraft (Purolator) filter too.

I generally change mine in the 6-7K range in the summertime, but more frequently in the colder weather just due to more idling and cold/rich running conditions.

k and n filters are awesome !...i failed to mention i change the oil filter at 3550 mi and this vehicle sees nothing but high speed highway miles with trips of no less then 30 miles .

brad

k and n filters are awesome !...i failed to mention i change the oil filter at 3550 mi and this vehicle sees nothing but high speed highway miles with trips of no less then 30 miles .

brad
K&N filters have the same "guts" as any other filter made by Champion Labratories. Mobil 1, Bosch, STP, Car & Driver, and lots more that I can't think of. The only difference is that fancy hex nut on the end of them.

If you want some good reading on oil, filters, etc. visit www.bobistheoilguy.com forums.

mike with all do respect ...i like the cold flow properties of mb-1 espesialy on below zero nites here in omaha ..though ill admit showroom clean babie like yours is in the heated garage and its a ahole bunch colder in oshosh ...WAR PACK!!!!!!!

brad

No heated garage here, my friend. Mine sits outside in this awful subzero cold every day. Mobil 1 has as good a cold pour point as any synthetic...I just like a lot of the other oils' more robust additive package, and thicker hot viscosity. A 5W30 Mobil 1 is more of a thick 20 than a 30 weight when hot.

how cold is it there now ?

brad

ya at least plug it in dont ya !?

It got down to -16° last night. It's -8° as I type this. I've never once plugged it in. I never had a bit of trouble starting it, and it cranks over just fine in the cold...Hardly any difference than if it were summertime. The only vehicles I've ever needed to use the block heater on have been diesels.

This also de-bunks the myth that E85 fuel won't start in the cold. Many people have told me that it's not going to start decent if it gets below freezing. Never once had a problem.

By all means use oil analysis to base extended OCIs.

I use 30k OCIs with Amsoil oil.

i use e85 in mine and barely notice the difference in starting or gas milage .

brad

Back