• Register Today It's free!

Optimum running temp for 5R55E?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
I want to install a tranny temp. gauge for my 5R55E...what is the optimum running temperature that would result in the longest transmission life?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Techie, much appreciated.

That is being a little unrealistic in my opinion. Water temps in the radiator can run much higher than that, so it makes sense you won't cool it much lower than that without an external cooler...and you would need a pretty good sized one to get down that low. (this is all considering summer time use) Most oil manufacturers consider 175 to 200 degrees as a normal temp for a late model automatic transmission. However, you can reach temps as high as 275 pulling a load over the top of a mountain for example. That's usually considered the max temp...and only for short durations. So if you can keep your temps under 200 degrees consistently, you should be good.

i dont think 160 is an unrealistic goal, i see 190 in my tranny when its 100+ degrees outside in city traffic with a stock cooler, i think with an aluminum high capacity pan and another external cooler would do it nicely

Mine stays in the 160-180 range depending on ambient temp. I has hit 275 while traveling in stop and go traffic fully loaded in Texas in the summer.

The lower you can keep the fluid temp, the better.

Most explorers have an external cooler, my transmission usually stays around 160 or lower unless it's 90+degrees out

As I mentioned...I was considering summer conditions. When it's winter outside, all bets are off.

Mine stays in the 160-180 range depending on ambient temp. I has hit 275 while traveling in stop and go traffic fully loaded in Texas in the summer.

I think that sounds perfectly normal. Hate to see 275, but it's possible. I would say you only see 160 on cool days with easy driving.

Ya, it's about 160 when the temp is mid 70's

Does anyone manufacture a higher capacity pan for the 5R55E?
I want to do another cooler (in addition to the factory cooler) as well as an external filter plus the larger capacity pan AND Amsoil synthetic ATF.

I can't see or think of a better combination!!!

Never seen mine go over 165 even on a hot day. I have the factory external cooler. Lately the temps outside are hovering around freezing, and I run around 140 in nmy tranny.

Back