Orifice tube question

firepop5

Reaction score
City, State
floral park ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
96 5.0 V8

I'm replacing my evaporator core (due to leak on tube at bottom) and receiver.
"standard orifice tubes" are in the vicinity of 1 to 3 dollars and "variable orifice tubes" are anywhere from 18 to 75 dollars. How are they different, and is the extra money worth it. Car is driven in New York City area. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 5.0 V8

I'm replacing my evaporator core (due to leak on tube at bottom) and receiver.
"standard orifice tubes" are in the vicinity of 1 to 3 dollars and "variable orifice tubes" are anywhere from 18 to 75 dollars. How are they different, and is the extra money worth it. Car is driven in New York City area. Thanks.
First I ever heard of a "variable orfice tube". I would use the fixed tube if it were me.

I agree, use the standard. I just replaced my evap/drier and tube because the lower bracket on the accumulator/drier, which ridiculously is attached to the lower evaporator pipe, rotted through the pipe and caused a full-out system leak.

Variable orifice tube are great. It raises the high pressure at idle which allows you to get much better cooling capacity. They have 2 types.. Standard and HD.. the H/D (sever duty) is for areas where the temp gets > 105F.

I've used both the standard and the severe duty one.. Both worked much better than a standard orifice tube.

~Mark

Back