• Register Today It's free!

OSS/VSS on 2000 5.0 explorer

jinx44

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Okay, still planning everything for my 2000 explorer 5.0 swap into a classic mustang. Yes, I know there are easier EFI 5.0 options, but I want OBD-II and 4R70. There are probably easier Exp5.0 options with earlier years, but I bought this setup cheap for a good running engine and all needed wiring, so that is what I am working with.

My other thread on here helped solve the fuel pump questions I had. Now I am still uncertain on how the VSS/OSS works with the ECM.

From what I have read, the VSS is determined using the ABS sensor in the rear and calculated from there. What does the ECM use this value for? Is it just for speedometer readings? The reason I ask, there is also an OSS sensor in the transmission. I would guess the OSS is used for all pressure/shifting/lockup.

I will NOT be running an electronic speedo. I will retain the original mustang speedo, with mid 90s AODE output shaft and housing which should allow me to use the factory speedometer cable. However, I will still need to control the transmission shift and lockup points. I will have the SCT PRP software for tuning.

So I am trying to decide if I can do the swap without having the VSS/ABS in the rear axle (since I plan to run an 8.8 with centered housing instead of the offset explorer housing) and have the ECM still be able to control shifting.

Obviously my tire size will be different than what the current ECM value is. I have not decided what gear ratio I want to run yet, but it will likely be different too. So if I base it off of the OSS alone and change those values in the software, will the ECM be able to calculate actual speed for trans functions without having a VSS? As was stated, I am unsure what the VSS actually does. I am familiar with late model mustangs, and they only use the OSS for everything speed related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, is there anyone on here that is using SCT PRP for the EQE3 catch code?

Hello, tough call. I think the PCM(Powertrain Control Module) has to have a VSS signal, and the side sensor you mention won't do it. Contact James about the PCM programming, he can explain that better than I can.

If you do run an AODE output shaft then the speedometer calibration will be the old style, gears. If one of those AODE models also included the VSS signal with the cable, I would revert to the 96 or 97 Explorer PCM. Those use the trans VSS signal, and the more performance oriented return fuel system. Swapping the injectors and a few wires is minor stuff if it gets you a better PCM to run the engine and trans.

If it came down to needing the VSS from a diff, and a late 8.8 was in the plans, I'd have it cut to be centered as you need it. That would mean starting with an 8.8 that has the aluminum speedometer signal ring in it, like the 98-01 Explorer. I know a 1994 F150 has it in the 8.8 rear, my friend has it in his.

I'd prefer to run a 9" though, for all reasons except the VSS signal. Regards,

Hello, tough call. I think the PCM(Powertrain Control Module) has to have a VSS signal, and the side sensor you mention won't do it. Contact James about the PCM programming, he can explain that better than I can.

If you do run an AODE output shaft then the speedometer calibration will be the old style, gears. If one of those AODE models also included the VSS signal with the cable, I would revert to the 96 or 97 Explorer PCM. Those use the trans VSS signal, and the more performance oriented return fuel system. Swapping the injectors and a few wires is minor stuff if it gets you a better PCM to run the engine and trans.

If it came down to needing the VSS from a diff, and a late 8.8 was in the plans, I'd have it cut to be centered as you need it. That would mean starting with an 8.8 that has the aluminum speedometer signal ring in it, like the 98-01 Explorer. I know a 1994 F150 has it in the 8.8 rear, my friend has it in his.

I'd prefer to run a 9" though, for all reasons except the VSS signal. Regards,

I need the AODE output and housing to run the early mustang speedo cable.

I have considered centering an explorer rear, but then it would be about 2.5" too short without running spacers or deep dish wheels. Neither of which I care for.

I feel the 8.8 is far superior to a 9" stock housing, other than axle retention.

See, I'm sure there were years that overlapped with the speedo cable output also having an electrical sensor also. I'm wondering if those would have a matching signal to the VSS which the OBDII PCM needs. I haven't been around the mid 90's Fords much, even though I own a 94 GT(wrecked).

Given your car's speedometer, I'd want to get the signal from the trans output if possible. Then you are free to choose any rear for more important reasons.

See, I'm sure there were years that overlapped with the speedo cable output also having an electrical sensor also..

What Ford did (at least in the mustangs that I am used to messing with) is use the same basic AOD output shaft and housing that was used with a cable, and put a sensor in there that the shaft turned. It had a gear on it just like the end of a cable did. As technology changed, they found it easier to use a different type of sensor instead of an electronic/mechanical one. So the VSS was moved.

As I said, I know mustang ECMs use the OSS sensor in the transmission housing for all speed calculations. I am just trying to find out if I can do the same in the explorer ECM. I would think it should be able to, since as far as I know EEC-V is all the same with different strategies. But surely someone has done a rearend swap (9" for example) and ran into the issues I am facing.

PCM, the PCM needs that very special VSS signal. I believe more than one other person has investigated using the OSS, signal, and they said it didn't work. One I recall swapping the Explorer 302 into a dune buggy(quasi jeep). The other I can't name the project vehicle, just that it was an older Ford, not Mustang. It thought your project would be common by now. I've planned to swap my spare Explorer 302/4R70W into my 91 Mark VII for a few years now. I'm slow at finishing things.

Keep researching. If you find that the mid 90's AODE speedometer signal is the same as the 96/97 trans VSS, you can make that work. Night,

PCM, the PCM needs that very special VSS signal. I believe more than one other person has investigated using the OSS, signal, and they said it didn't work. One I recall swapping the Explorer 302 into a dune buggy(quasi jeep). The other I can't name the project vehicle, just that it was an older Ford, not Mustang. It thought your project would be common by now. I've planned to swap my spare Explorer 302/4R70W into my 91 Mark VII for a few years now. I'm slow at finishing things.

Keep researching. If you find that the mid 90's AODE speedometer signal is the same as the 96/97 trans VSS, you can make that work. Night,

Efi into a classic mustang is common. But they are either using hydraulically controlled AODs, manual VBs, or electonic AODE with 94-95 mustang computers. I wanted OBD-II, which is why I went with the explorer setup.

I am going to make a post on SCTs site in their Pro Racer Package forum and see if anyone there has found a way around it. If they are any help, I will post my findings. It would help the 9" swap guys as well.

Here is the post I made on SCT's forum:

I am planning an engine swap project, using a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 engine, wiring harness, and EQE3 (REAC4 strategy) ECM into a classic mustang. I will also be using the 4R70W, and will be using the ECM to control transmission functions. The Explorer gauge cluster will not be used.

From my understanding, this year Explorer uses a VSS/ABS in the rear axle housing. There is also an OSS sensor on the transmission ring gear.

Now I know that my '00 mustang uses just the OSS, and the ECM calculates vehicle speed from there. All transmission functions and speedometer source their information from the OSS and there is not a VSS.

Is there a system switch in the REAC4 Strategy where I can soley use the OSS for vehicle speed calculations?

I will let everyone know what is said.

Back