Out of gas after only 5 gallons?!

Pointfreak!

Reaction score
City, State
Peekskill, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hey all...

Listen to this very strange problem. About 3-4 months ago my gas gauge died. No big deal, as we now use the trip odometer to watch the gas level the old fashioned way.

Last weekend I was on my way to the Home Depot, and saw the trip odometer was at 120. Plenty of fuel in the tank I figured, so off I went. When leaving, I had barely pulled out of the parking lot when the engine sputtered and died, and after repeated attempts wouldnt re-start. Classic "out of gas" situation. The wife arrived shortly with the gas can, and after a gallon was poured in, it started on the second crank.

Now here's the strange part! I drove straight to the gas station for a fillup, but the pump clicked off at $9.00! Not even 5 gallons of gas! After topping off (twice) I had to shake my head....

What would cause my 91 Explorer to "run out of gas", when there is 10 plus gallons still in the tank? Fuel pump? Fuel inlet hose on the pump? Could this be related to the gauge?

I'm stumped. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clogged fuel filter?

CLoG?

Sounds to me like something is clogged. Also, if you u park on a down hill, with the car facing down the hill, then the gas all shifts to one side of the tank, and it thinks there is less in it... that coulda been the problem, that used 2 happen to me. But no at only 120 milez.... so yeah i would take it in to the dealership?

Replaced the fuel filter less than a year ago, and I was in a flat parking lot when it died.

How would pouring a gallon of gas into the tank unclog the filter anyway? :)

Frshpwdr2k:
You must have skimmed my story. My Explorer is about 10 years old. WAY more than 120 miles on it! Thats 120 miles for that tank of gas!

Thanks for your replies....anyone else?

I didn't mean filling it unclogged it..all I ment was maybe while it was sitting the filter had enough to suck some gas past....i guess it was a dumb response...oh well, I'll be quiet now...

Yeah i know its 10yearz old. I was sayin that shouldnt have happened at only 120 milez to the tank... maybe the dealership or somethin should check it out.

• Could have been lots of things.
  • Trash in the tank. Clogged the intake of the pump and starved the engine. Put some gas in and stirred things up a little and the trash came off.
  • Trash in the filter. When you cut the ignition off and some of the pressure was let off of the system it could have moved to a different spot in the filter that would let the gas through.
  • Pump could be going bad. Not working could be a sign of it starting to die. Now it's working again, but that's how things act when they are starting to die. Work fine, then quit, work fine, then quit, etc.
  • Fuel pressure regulator going bad. Same idea as pump.
  • Maybe you upset your Explorer by going to the Home Depot instead of Lowe's. It was mad and didn't want to crank to teach you a lesson. After sitting a little bit, it got over it and decided to crank. :)
  • Probably even more possibilities that I can't think of right now.
Just a few ideas.

>>Maybe you upset your Explorer by going to the Home Depot instead of Lowe's. It was mad and didn't want to crank to teach you a lesson. <<

Now THATS a possibility! If I had a Lowes nearby, I'd be there! :)

Thanks to all thus far for taking the time to reply. One way or another, I guess I gotta drop the tank and take a peek inside. Ugh...

Check the vent line/charcoal cannister. You could have pulled a vacuum in the tank. If it does it again, listen while taking off the filler cap, then try running it with the cap loose or off.

Back