• Register Today It's free!

It's not a ford, but hey

blinkgi

Reaction score
City, State
Oxnard, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 sport
A friend and I bought a 1974 toyota hilux for the wopping price of $50. I know it isnt an Explorer, but I allready have one. Everything on it is good, but one thing. When it starts it runs good and idles great, but after say 5 minutes or so, it starts to sputter like it is out of gas, but I know that it isnt because we have personally put two 5 gallon tanks into the tank. I took the fuel line off the carb, gas comming out. Also took it off after the fuel pump, gas also coming out. Now after it sputters to it's death, you cant get it running till it cools down for like 10-30 minutes. I think it is heat related, seems like when it warms up to normal temp, it dies.

This isnt a car that we are driving on the road or anything, so should I take out the thermostat, put on a diff(electric) fuel pump? Remember that it only gets like 2-5lbs. I have tried allmost every other trick I can think of. Tis tuck was ment to bomb. We call her the popped cherrie.

It has the 18rc engine w/ a 2bbl. Have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hummm!

It's been a long times since I've touch a carb... Your probleme seems to be air/fuel related. Have you looked at all the hoses that comes and go to the carb (even look at hoses not related), when they get warn they will expand a bit and maybe one of them is cracked, so the crack will open and vaccum will go down. Check seal of the air filter boal and carb to intake? Other than that I have no idea, maybe try to rebuilt the unit, some parts may be worn off and creating this kind of problem, but then it does not look like it. Good luck!

I'd start by looking at the carb if you are getting fuel there. You could have a fuel float with a hole in it. Rebuild kits for carbs are relatively inexpensive. You may also have a fuel line running somewhere too close to the motor or exhaust, and be vapor locking it. Try tracing your fuel lines, and if they get really close to a heat source either move them to a different location, or insulate them.

i had the exact same problem on my on jeep 258i6 and i did what all the guys above recommended. it actually turned out to be a clogged fuel line. the old gastanks can get real rusty and whent the float and filter assembly(sending unit) goes bad, the rust can be sucked up into the lines and then settle when after the car cools, b/c after all, it is just mostly dust. i would start from the tank back. pull and check everything. isolate everything and determine if it is the problem: gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines, fuel pump, CLOGGED FILTER, carb.
if that doesn't work. get out the voltage reader and test all you coils and wires, etc.. an easy test for the ignition coil is: run the vehicle till it stalls and then touch the coil to see if it's abnormally hot. BUT BE CAREFULL B/C IF IT IS GOING BAD, IT WILL BURN YOU! hope you figure it out- russel

Sounds like vapor lock to me...those carb'ed motors do it a lot if the lines or pump get too hot. My friend has built up a 1950 Ford half-ton and it has been doing the same. He is going to install an electric fuel pump setup pretty soon on it. I am not familiar with a Toyota Hilux so I don't know how the exhaust is routed.

Back