over 250,000 mi | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over 250,000 mi

Lol , I think I'm starting to see a trend with head gaskets, Is it normally the first thing that goes on any vehicle that age? I think you're like the 5th person who's mentioned that!!!!

Head gaskets and head are common failure point on these old 4.0's. I feel lucky to just have bad head gaskets. I was afraid at first that I had a cracked head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You dudes with the leaky head gaskets best get your heads tested for cracks when you pull the heads to do the gasket or you'll just be doing it again. Every single one of those stock OEM heads will crack - it's a matter of time. The machine shop that did my heads had a PILE, and this is a no-sh*tter, of cracked Ford 4.0 heads that was about 6' high and 10' wide in their back lot. The factory heads are weak through the guide area. The new aftermarket replacement heads are about 20 lb heavier than the stock heads. No more cracks now bro :D

241k and still runs strong! the only real work she's had is a radiator and a handful of fuel pumps

309K for me. Had to rebuild the trans. at @192k. Got a leak at the rear main, that's about it. Burns a quart every 2K. What the hell, it's still cheaper than a new truck payment. It's hanging in there!

jeez!! i have a 1996 sport and its only got 55k miles haha i think i lost this battle and mines a stick id get hella tierd of shifting that many times haha

I never did add my mileage.

284K stock motor and trans....

My 1992 XLT is up to 214,000 miles now. The manual trans was overhauled at 150,000.

She is dripping some oil; probably a main bearing seal and she is using more oil since turning 200,000, maybe a quart every 1500 miles.

The alternator died of old age last summer. One of the brushes wore down to nothing and scored the slip ring.

The major battle now is against rust.

She still runs great, but I'm thinking of getting an Escape for a DD and then carefully preserving the EX and keeping it for those times when I need a real truck.

Bob

260k on a 93 4.0, all stock except for air intake.

we need to get pictures of the explorers as they look now, and make a commercial for ford, seems like those that have taken special care....hell, not even special, at least basic maintenance, these engines are lasting a pretty damn good while.

i'm personally going for the half million mark (can't afford swap or 5.0 or anything else really). it uses about 1 quart every 2 weeks or so, but that's okay by me, gets me from poitn A to B, and gets decent mileage.

A 5.0 would be great.

I'm not sure if a 4.0 is good for 500k without a rebuild, but I'm near 285k

170k for my 92 XLT. I've been driving it for the past 6 years. Replaced the water pump last month, the t-case 2 years ago, the fuel pump 3 years ago. Other than that just basic maintenance.

Mike

285,000 on mine

268000 on my engine(swapped it strait out of another explorer), only major repairs were the coolant systm so far, then again, she did sit in a guys yard for a little over a year, plenty of time to build up some rust...

I have achieved an impressive 373,000 miles out of the engine with no rebuilding. (1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower 4x4, 4.0 OHV) of course the accessories are another thing. 4 Alternators, 2 water pumps 4 radiators, 1 radiator fan, 1 fuel pump, 1 front driveshaft, Ujoint set for front and back, new bearings for rear axle, 2 times of rebuilding the transmission (4R55E), 1 time of purchasing a re manufactured transmission. 1 Rear Ring and Pinion Set, All body bushings swapped to Polyurethane around 180K miles, 2 rebuilds of the transfer care (Case half stretch on the horrible borgwarner, right now I have the range hub gear piece welded on the shaft so it stays in permanent High Range mode). But Alas it could not get to the 400K mark. I recently had the head gasket start a very slow leak, coupled with the coilpack starting to die, I decided it was time to retire her. So I picked up a Tahoe instead. But now that the Explorer is no longer my day to day driver I have pulled the engine and tranny out right now. I am doing a full and complete teardown and rebuild so that I can convert my Exploader into a full time offroad vehicle. I still say the Engines are the best pieces on the Fords. The 4.0 automatic transmissions are horrible pieces of garbage that die quickly at towing applications, the transfer case always seems to buldge. But the 4.0 pushrod did its hardwork. lol

~jon

256,000 its my winter beater....but i bet it will rust out before it will die! My other 94 ltd with 75,000 show room condition on for the Summer! and of course if you own 2 explorers u must own a fox body 93 mustang GT 19,000 show room condition also.

im gettin close! lol 238k!

oil changes
tires
brakes
trans
alternator

thats about all i can think of off the top of my head

About 280,000 miles on my 94. Original 4.0 and A4LD. 225,000 put on by me.

Basic routine maintenance, a few sensors, etc.

Only got towed 3 times in 10 years (fuel pump relay, starter solenoid, tranny overheated once when parked). I think that speaks volumes.

Mike

184,174...... no leaks, uses no oil .... trans shift perfect knock on wood.... best 300 bucks. I ever spent

my 91 rust bucket had 298,000 all org before it got inpounded for parking tickets i didnt wash it for over 2 years for fear it would fall apart (lol) im sure it would still be running they wanted 500 to get it out .........so i got a 96 110,000 for 1500 needed a fuel pump i love these trucks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im pretty sure ive got 118 000. it might be 218 000 but that doesnt seem right cause it was beat to hell by the previous owner and i think 218000 miles of their torture would have killed it along time ago. i wish i knew for sure though. stupid odometer not having that last digit

Back