Over cranked TT = possible CV Damage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Over cranked TT = possible CV Damage

sparkyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Limited AWD 5.0L
So on Yesterday (Friday), I got the time to install my shackles and do TT. I know that people say under 2" should keep your CV's fine, so before doing the shackles I measured 3 spots on each side of front end. Then I did shackle in the rear and measured again just to see if the little raise in rear affected the front end any. Then I did tortion twist...set it down and measured, it was about 1.75 inches higher, then I went for a little drive around the subdivison. Came back and measured and it settled approx. .35-.5 inches, so I raised them up again, and measured drivers went up like to a total of 1 3/4-1 7/8 inch of lift, and on passangers 1 1/2-1 3/4... to compensate for the drivers side being lower...

Put on about 60-80 miles in between Yesterday (Friday) and Today (Sat.)

So this morning (Sat.) I measured to make sure that now settling or anything has changed, and they were all very close to the finally measurements taken last night..

Now for the part I FEAR...I was driving home from work and heard a slight noise coming from the car, So when I get home (3 miles from work) I am going slow and listening hard, I notice that part of the noise is from my drivers side front tire has a *Squeak* I guess you would call it, it only does it as a certain part of the tire is compressed when it is directly down from axle. I know I should get an allignment but I plan on getting new wheels in about a month, so I think I will just wait till then cause I am not worried about this tires...PRETTY bald compared to my spare.
But I don't belive that is my only noise/problem I am being to freak out about my CV's

So my questions are...
Are there any way besides measuring before/after to make sure my CV's are not at to harsh of an angle?
I mean can I measure the degrees of the CV or the elevation of inner end of the CV and the outter end see if to high?
any other ways?

And what kind of noise or problems should I be looking at if my CV's are going...Try to be descriptive.

Thanks again
-SparkyXplorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please help...

I plan on lowering my front end tomorrow by about 1/4-1/2 inch I am still not sure wheither my CV's are gone now or what but just incase...

Be patient and someone will reply. Its fairly late, so you might not get any until tomorrow.

If the CV's are going bad, they will whine and rumble, not squeak. Doing a TT will shorten the CV life due to the sharper angle that it operates at, but the amount you did won't kill it quickly. I ran a full 2" on my '01 (and wheeled it hard) for the better part of 3 years and the CV's never gave me any problems. I just killed hubs. :D

Stinger: I'm sorry I was just freaking out..stuff starts going through my mind then I make it 30 times worse in there...

JDraper: I supose I will just leave it were they are at

No harm done.

I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored. I'm guilty of being impatient too.

i did not raise mine as much as you did, but i have run my 01 lifted with a TT for over 100,000 miles and had no ill effects

I realize that the farther you go the harder it is on your CV's therefore the faster they wear out, but if you have 100,000 miles on them after the TT I think I should be fine......or at least I hope, lol

Thanks to all

Back