• Register Today It's free!

Over weight????

Nick K

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport 4X4
I was wondering how much my explorer can carry inside the cabin (no trailer). I looked in the manual and I can't understand a word of it. I plan to have 5 people in my explorer with a couple of suit cases I was wondering if I'm pushing the weight to the limit. What would this rating fall under.

94 explorer sport 4X4
limited slip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nick,
You will have no problems. I believe the cargo area is 1/2 ton (1000lbs). Personally - and I don't recommend doing this - I have had over 1 ton on numerous occasions. Yeah - my front tires were off the ground...

Anyhow - 5 plus luggage is going to be fine.

JonM

Doesn't the tag on the driver door jamb give the weight rating? GVWR= Gross vehicle weight rating. Doesn't it give the vehicle weight and the allowable weight per axle? Is this true? One ton in the cargo area on several occassions sounds bad for it, if true. That almost all transfers to the rear axle only. ? 1000 lb extra per tire. What were you hauling?

Sink,
I never claimed it was good for it <G>

one occassion I was hauiling wood stove pellets... about 1500 lbs

the other time was a boat load of tile - more than the pellets, but not sure how much weight. Both trips were short distances.

I have hauled 5 adults with accompanying luggage 400+ miles with no problems whatsoever (lower gas mileage obviously!)

Jon

Whew, Jon. You da man. I feel alot better about the future use for my 94 now. I used to overload my 89 Ranger frequently to about 1 ton, but it was spread better over both axles. Don't mean to rant, your advice looks good for Nick. BTW, how do you interpret the door sticker?

I never gave the door sticker much thought! I know the rear-end (being very similar to a ranger) is a 1/2 ton. The bumper can handle (mine anyhow) 300lbs (3000 lbs tow capacity). I don't know if the GWV is the weight of the truck or the max weight loaded down.

Jon

GVW is the total weight of the vehicle, including cargo, people, fluids, etc. GVWR is the maximum weight you should have between cargo, gas, people and vehicle. Another thing to check if you think you are close to the max weight is the load carrying capacity of the tires. That's usually the first factor that limits how much weight you can carry.

Even over here I saw a T.V. show I believe it was 20/20 or 48 Hours.

Anyway they said that you are only suppose to have 2 adults 2 kids something like that the show was really stupid.
Because the topic was not so much on what people use them for but more how people speed and don't realize that they are more top heavy. They drive them the same way.
Everyone will agree with me when I say you can fit 5 Adults Loaded with Luggage. Just remember that you need more room to stop, Slower acceleration, You can't go Europian Road Testing.
I've had It fully loaded 5 people. Have fun Just realize you have 5 people in it.

Originally posted by Nick K
I was wondering how much my explorer can carry inside the cabin (no trailer). I looked in the manual and I can't understand a word of it. I plan to have 5 people in my explorer with a couple of suit cases I was wondering if I'm pushing the weight to the limit. What would this rating fall under.

94 explorer sport 4X4
limited slip

MY stats on my

94 explorer sport
limited slip 4X4

Curb weight 3788
Front GAWR: 2420
Rear GAWR: 2760

Hmm, I had a 79 ford LTD wagon that I would constantly use for hauling heavy stuff. I once had 40 bags of 40 LB top soil in it, that works out to 1600 LBs and it hauled great, but then again it did have a longer wheel base, but it wasnt a truck. I wish they still made Wagons like they used to, I miss that old car, I could haul more stuff in that than I could in any PU truck, including 20' 2 X 12's !

Unfortunatly the frame rotted out so I had to junk it :( saddest day of my life, it would have been considered a classic by now.

But anyway, 5 people and luggage is really nothing for an Explorer, except of course if they all weighed in over 300 apiece! :)

Back