• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Selector missing

ExplorerIronman

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Ironman
I just purchased a 2008 Explorer XLT with the Ironman trim, 4.0L, and the O/D Off button is missing on the shift lever. Can I just replace the button, if not, is the switch sold separately, or do I need a whole new gear selector lever?

Thanks

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have to get a shifter from a salvage yard and steal parts from it or use it as a replacement. Once a vehicle turns ten years old parts availabilty starts becoming a problem. Then the salvage yard is your only option.

Had the same issue when I bought my '06. Found the little button on the floor next to the console, sort of tucked along the seat rail. I thought it was broken off the switch but realized I could just push it back on to the switch face and it clicked into place. This was AFTER I bought a replacement switch of course! If you go the salvage yard route, you might try gently prying just the button out of the switch. The new switch I bought is still sitting in my parts bin. BTW, that switch button is used across many models.

Or you could go ahead and do the conversion from the pogo stick shifter to the smaller shifter from a Flex. There's a few write ups on this forum on how to go about it. Check Ebay for parts, too.

I have all the parts needed to do this conversion when I get around to it. If you decide to replace the entire switch, make sure you use one from another 4th gen explorer so the plug matches up. Entire switches from other years or models of Ford had differing plug connections.

Had the same issue when I bought my '06. Found the little button on the floor next to the console, sort of tucked along the seat rail. I thought it was broken off the switch but realized I could just push it back on to the switch face and it clicked into place. This was AFTER I bought a replacement switch of course! If you go the salvage yard route, you might try gently prying just the button out of the switch. The new switch I bought is still sitting in my parts bin. BTW, that switch button is used across many models.

Or you could go ahead and do the conversion from the pogo stick shifter to the smaller shifter from a Flex. There's a few write ups on this forum on how to go about it. Check Ebay for parts, too.

I have all the parts needed to do this conversion when I get around to it. If you decide to replace the entire switch, make sure you use one from another 4th gen explorer so the plug matches up. Entire switches from other years or models of Ford had differing plug connections.
OK, the conversion is interesting, but I think that I just want to get it up and running now.

There are no Gen 4 Explorers in my local LKQ. What other vehicles will use the same button / switch?

Thanks,

Tom

I think 94 Eddie may be right about availability. I did some quick searches on Dorman, Ebay and Amazon and couldn't find a new replacement for the 4th gen explorer. Your best bet will be a salvage yard.

I looked at the Flex shifter I have here and compared it to the explorer switch. The plugs are different but you can cut the plug off yours and graft it onto the wiring harness from another Ford model. I would check for Mustangs and Flex and Edge. Those are the only three I've seen that look the similar to the Explorer switch. Until then, I'd leave it with the O/D on (light off) and not worry too much about it. (If the light is on, you can use a safety pin to depress the switch inside. I did that for a few weeks before I happened to find the button under the seat.)

My wifes expedition had a similar switch also.

Back