Overfilling Manual Transmission: M5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overfilling Manual Transmission: M5

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 91 Explorer with the M5 transmission. I recently had it rebuilt and noticed a slight leak at work one day. When I got home, I tightened the drain bolt and all was well. That made me think, that maybe I had lost more than a few drops (I drive 120 miles a day).

So, today I opened the fill bolt to get it up to the fill line and about a 1/2 quart of atf poured out before I could get the plug back in. Is this bad? I know that overfilling the engine with oil is bad, but what about a manual where the fluid is just sitting there. I figure he had the transmission on its side, and filled it up then put it on my truck.

Would it be better to have an overfilled manual? Would the gears get more lubrication? Just wondering...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should check it again when it is completly cold. It is hard to over fill it because you just fill it until it comes out.

I figure he had the transmission on its side, and filled it up then put it on my truck.

It was overfilled. Will this do damage?

It is pretty hard to hurt it. And any guy that knows transmissions would fill it after he installed it.

Back