Overfilled Transmission help!

south59

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
Hey guys

I just checked up on my tranny fluid in my 95(4r55e) and realized that my mechanic overfilled this thing WAY too much. The fluid level is at least 2 inches over the do not fill mark. I checked it correctly, level surface...shifted through gears and had it running. What would be the easiest way to drain some fluid out without dropping the pan? Do the 4r55e's have an auxillary cooler? Keep in mind that I am a noob to transmissions. Thanks ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use a simple hand pump down the dip stick hole to remove fluid.
You can also do like you said and undo a transmission cooler line.

Make sure the truck is hot when you check the fluid, also make sure you are reading the dipstick prooperly, I mean they can be a real PITA because the dipstick tube bends and fluid can get on the stick even though its not at the level. if you are careful about putting the stick in straight and pulling it out straight, it also helps to check both sides. :)

Good luck!

Make the so called mechanic who initiated the problem, fix the problem.

Good luck.....

If i were to use the auxillary cooler line, where would I be taking it off at? near the transmission or the the cooler itself?

Sorry for the noobness, but im trying to learn. :p

Hey you came to the right place!
You can undo the cooler line at the transmission, but its best to have a line wrench for this, you can also undo it from the bottom of the cooler, but you may have to remove the grill to get to here, or you can undo the lower line at the bottom of the radiator, this is the most accessible for you.
It goes like this:
fluid leaves transmission
Goes into top of radiator (drivers side, towards engine, next to fan shroud)
leaves bottom of radiator and enters the top of the aux cooler
leaves bottom of aux cooler and back to transmission

The lines are metal from trans to rad and from aux cooler to trans
the line from the rad to the aux cooler is rubber, and may be easier for you to get too.

Either way you may have a hard time getting enough fluid out this way unless you siphon

Great, Thanks for the help. I'm going to look at the truck now, and from your explanation it sounds like it would proabably be easier just to get a hand pump + tubing and suck it through the dipstick hole.thanks again

dosent the tranny have an over flow valve? may be its the 4ald i could be totally wrong

no there is no overflow valve on this transmission.

Carquest has the hand pump for $5, ask me how I know?? hahaha same deal.
I now have a drain plug in my trans pan......

Wow, I just pumped 2 good quarts out ... still about an inch over the hash marks....

It started to rain, so Ill resume when the weather clears up..

Freakin mechanics, I swear

Back